I finally did it - I went out for a run. Not just a pretend jog across a bridge or fast paced walk dressed as a runner. I actually did a run!
I titled the blog post My Uterus and I, because we are separate entities now. With the easy birth of Billy came some internal trauma that I was not aware of. This has obviously affected my return to fitness and will result in me having a hysterectomy in the next two months. I'm okay with that so I thought I would blog it for anyone's future reference to return to running after such an operation.
Anyhow when I have attempted running in the past few weeks I have felt like I was a handbag with coins inside rattling around. I am glad the coins will be soon removed and I can just be an old bag again :)
This morning after the doctors approval I decided to turn up for the Brisbane Road Runners 5km. I planned on attempting to run 6min km. A big feat for someone who hasn't run for 6 months. Whilst I have returned to pre-pregnancy weight almost I am still "soft" and the habit of running has been forgotten by my lungs. It was an interesting experience.
Some things don't change and as soon as the gun went off....so did I. After 200m I slowed it down a bit. The body decided to do that for me anyhow. The first km couldn't come fast enough.....and what the hell was playing on my ipod? I think the kids must have been using it in my absence from running. I almost fell over from the lyrics I heard - and hoped no one else could hear - coming through the earpeices. Will have to find the culprit and put them on a music appreciation course.
Just before the 2km mark there was a water station and I stopped to walk and grab some water. I felt okay but I knew this was going to be real hard. I managed to get walking again - mainly because it was at the start/finish line and people were watching me ha ha. Soon enough the 3km mark came up and I was breathing very hard. A girl running beside me checked her watch and said "15:50" I was running faster than I had intended but was comfortable. Still, I decided to walk for a minute and get my breath back. People went past me and I vowed to try to catch up to them. When I started running on the home stretch I easily caught up to those who had gone past and overtook them. That made me feel good and I knew nothing was going to let me stop now. I started to wheel people in - I had a goal on a girl in pink 500m ahead of me. Secretly (can you keep secrets from yourself???) I knew I couldn't catch her but I thought it would be good spirits to attempt it. Before I knew it I had gone past the corner which signals to me the last 500m. I was out of breath and was hurting. I wanted to sit down and stop this foolishness....but I couldn't. Any second now Tesso would be coming to save me and I had to be at least standing when she did.
Seconds later Tesso and a group of runners came up over the hill on their cooldown to come and bring me home. I got the spirit to run a bit faster and finish the run off. At the top of the hill I could see the finish line and Tess and Liz were cheering me on. It felt awesome and I knew I was going to finish. I just hoped I didn't kill myself in the meantime. Running fast through the finish line just about did kill me! I had a chuck on the grass and alarmed myself at the red vomit...can you run so fast you bleed? Then I remembered the plums I had for breaky ha ha ha.
A glass of water later (thanks Tesso!!!) and I was raring to go again. Well not quite :)
Now I am sore, tired and exhausted - but you know what. Today I got the high I have been looking for the past 6 months. If nothing else that was what I wanted. I'm thrilled to be able to run 5km and just hope that soon it will be less of a task and without the pitstops.
A post baby PB of 26:38 for my uterus and I today for the 5km. Happy with that.
15 comments:
Good reading Clairie. Fine effort to boot. Signals a good 2008. Year New Year no need to tell you to make the most of it. It is the only way you know how ;)
Wow, you & your uterus are still faster than my 5k PB!
Glad to hear that you are out running again. There really is nothing like that buzz you get from it.
Welcome back Runner. Great to see you smash your first race back. As for secret womens business I have no comment.
Wow, great to have you back running Clairie. Big news though, however the main thing is that you and your husband are fine with it.
Great post, it sucks that I didn't check the calender I assumed that BRRC was on a break stupid me, anyway I am holidays so I will venture over to some runs in the city and hopefully catch up and meet Billy. I know Cass is very keen to meet him :-)
Pretty spectacular performance. And know what, not only could Lizzle and I not keep up with you for your flying finish, neither could Gary!
Re the vomit, what can I say ... I told you not to mention Gado Gado :)
PS It was actually Slash who came to your rescue with the water, I just took the credit for it ;-)
Great run Clairie.
Once you are over the Op there will be no stopping you.
All the best to you and the family for 2008.
26:38 is bloody fast for an old bag!
There's nothing like those post-baby PBs eh Clairie? But what would I know?! Still, I'm sure you'll be back to better than your best in '08.
Sounds like you were playing one of Abenokibrown's tunes... bid de bid de bop, funky funky!
Good news that you're running again, Clairie. I hope the uterus thingy goes well.
The 4.5 stars for the movie "Atonement" is out of 5! Definitely worth hiring a baby-sitter - or even 2 - to get to see it!
Take care of yourself & see you in Canberra.
A BIG congrats Clairie!!!
Hi Clairie,
Happy new year to you, looks like we will be seeing lots more running from you now you are back at it, great to see.
All the best!
Woo Hoo Clairie!!!! I can imagine the shear joy you felt! My hubbie would be impressed, he loves a good chuck at the finish line :-)
I am going to aim for an Australia day run.....either 3.6 or 6km. It will depend completely on how I am going!
Enjoy blogging all the PBPB's (post baby pb's)!!!!
Great read Clairie! I was willing you over the line.
Your uterus obviously didn't slow you down much, despite rattling around in there!
Hey lovely! Congrats and well done. You are one tough chicky babe.
Remember to be kind to you when you have the op. Do what the experts (medical, not sports related) say!
Damn you, damn you to hell for making me cry! What an absolutely gutsy effort. It is time that matters, but how hard you push, determination, guts. And you did a lot of that. Sorry for being so late to comment. I am waaaaay behind in my blog reading and only catching up in snatches. Speaking of which, I hope the op goes well ;o ... it sounds like it is for the best.
That wa supposed to read "it is not time that matters..."
Post a Comment