Something glorious happened to me today. For just a brief moment.....I was a runner again.
Todays session at PCRG was a 50min run followed by a 1km race - where you can't look at your watch and have to guess your time. I love this session because you can use both runs to go as hard or as easy as you like - either way you still feel like you are out there doing something.
After warming up I think we were running around 5:15 pace. We headed out along the river and over the floating bridge. We got to the end of the floating bridge where the water tap is and I was very breathless so I stopped for water whilst everyone else went on.
There were a number of runners still coming and some were turning around where I stopped so I jumped up when I saw Liz and we headed off back to the start together. She is coming back from 'overtraining' and also was testing out some new orthotics (they were giving her blisters) so she was running over 6min kms. It was ok and I was just enjoying the morning.
At the end of the run we were in the botanical gardens. When Pat said the run was about to start I told myself I wanted to run a 5min/km. I knew it would be hard but it was only for 1km.
We took off and I was quickly overtaken by the usual crowd of those wanting to run much faster. I settled into a pace that felt fast but comfortable. Towards the end I was able to really let fly and sprint around a few people to cross the line in 4:05. I was so way off target....but I was secretly really thrilled. Yah I can still run!
I knew I was running fast but certainly would not have thought that fast. It was good to be able to break out into a sprint and really feel like you are doing something.
I'm over the moon now with my run and celebrated by eating all the pancakes in sight at breakfast.
7 comments:
Because I had to rush back to work we didn't get to have our usual post mortem after the session. Holy hell - 4:05!!! Fantastic!!!
On the way out to New Farm you looked very comfy, and were setting a nice pace at the front of our little pack. I was thinking to myself then that you were still running very well.
Happy days :-)
What a wonderfully uplifting experience. Anyway, of course you are still running well. It is not as if you have been struck down by disease or anything. Just a little, er encumbered, shall we say.
Thanks so much for your comment yesterday. It was so kind and empathetic it almost made me cry ... until you told me to give up beer that is! I tell you what, I'll give up beer when you give up pancakes!
What a wonderful way to almost start the holiday break AND you are eating to 2 !!!
Nice running Clairie and good to see the athletes diet is still in full swing.
Not definite but I may drag the clan down for the Easter intraining run tomorrow, might catch ya there :-)
So you missed the sunnies by how much? 55 seconds!! You're fast Clairie! Lucky the track season is over or I'd ask you to pace me in my next 1500 :)
Hey Clairie
I'd be interested to note how many people stop running in Pat's group for one reason or another between now and when you come back to full on training after the new baby.
I reckon there'd be a few that stop and never come back to running. We don't have to worry about that with you. Your enthusiasm is second to none!
You wil be still running and blogging long after many have given up.
I hope to last half as long as you do.
I am sorry I haven't visited for a few weeks, Clairie. But I was chatting to a little birdie recently and he told me of some unexpected news concerning you. I know you have been down this path before but it still must be something special for you and my best wishes to you and Allan for the months ahead.
This is a really nice post for me to come back and read too. It's always good to read your posts.
Post a Comment