Friday, November 16, 2007

I need help!

Anyone got any great links or tips for me?

I want to start easing back into it next week (4 weeks post baby) and am only allowed to start with walking 1-2hrs a day. That's okay by me, but I was wondering if following two weeks of that, should I just start on a couch to 5km program? Or do I just run easy for as long as I can a few times a week?
I won't be adding in any speedwork until January but am desperate to get out and run and NOT injure myself.

Any advice would be appreciated to assist me to come back, I feel like I have been away forever but when I walk I am really holding myself back from breaking into a run...so I feel ready.

10 comments:

Stephen Lacey said...

I sent you a link the other day by email, but it might have gone to your work address.
Here it is.

I'd definitely recommend following a program. Make it conservative. Break it into one-month blocks of reasonably uniform effort. Focus on getting the muscles re-conditioned first, then gradually increase distances and finally effort. But I'm sure that making a plan will be what gets you out the door every day but stop you over-doing it if the addiction kicks back in too hard.

speedygeoff said...

More than happy to oblige. Something often observed is that in the earliest stages of a come-back it feels like you are marking time; there can seem little improvement. Take time laying the foundations. Have a program but don't try to increase distances by very much at all, initially. "Gradually' is the key word.

Tesso said...

My advice would be continue joining us for our Saturday morning post run brekkies.

Though to avoid injury (to your voicebox) ease back into the shouting of the coffee orders when they arrrive.

Ewen said...

Yes, be very careful not to do damage to your vocal cords!

When you're allowed to run, I'd be inclined to do something easy every day. You could probably kick off with 10 to 15 minutes of very gentle running each day. Walk for 10 minutes before and after this as a warm-up/cool-down. If there's any undue soreness, have a day off.

Increase the time of each run by, say, 5 minutes each week, so, after 4 weeks you'd be up to 30 minutes daily. After another week, start alternating shorter and longer runs, so 30, 40, 30, 40 etc. Then 35, 45, 35, 45 etc.

Try and use soft surfaces (grass, dirt). Don't run with people (unless they are significantly slower, or are really willing to run at your pace). Keep the running easy (slow) until you're up to an hour every second day. For example, 45, 60, 40, 60 etc.

Superflake said...

Hey Clairie, Great to see you are keen to get back into it. I used the pfitzinger dot com site and go to the training resources tab and then training articles. Scroll to the bottom and there is an article about returning to running after a stress fracture. I know birth is different but the program starts from scratch with walk/run over 7 weeks. Might be useful. Cheers.

Rob said...

It's great to have you on the come-back trail Clairie. I've never had anything to come back from, so I am not much help. Take it easy and don't stress anyhting.

Jac's Mum said...

Is there a particular time frame that you are aiming to be fit in, for something in particular? Or are you just running, to get back into running? 'Grete is almost 4 weeks old, and I have been for 2 runs, and one long walk (I am fitting it in around commuting to Sydney with baby 3 days a week, and being mama to 4 kids now). Noted I have not lost aerobic fitness, courtesy of carting large blood volume, hence increased cardiac output for 2/3 of pregnancy. So fitness is not a prob. Abdom. m are shortening up OK, and joints are also not minding the running, which I am doing with bub in a Babyjogger, propped up with towels or a sloppy joe - whatever is handy. What I am noticing, is that running/walking/whatever, does increase the blood loss again, and my ever-helpful midwife did say to mind not to dislodge the placental "Scab" or haemorrhage can result. I know nothing about this, but am mindful of the loss all the same. I am also having to run with modified style, to minimise the jiggle. Enough said, I think.

So, in answer to your original question, now that I've dumped as much of my experience as I can share on you - I think you will find duration is not a problem. So fiddle with the frequency and intensity of your workouts. The rule is always to increase duration first, frequency second, and intensity last. Like always, aim to build up your nice comfy endurance base, in whatever way takes your fancy. The training effect will take place without you busting a gut; just be consistent, but - you've just had a baby - don't be anal about the running. There are more important things, after all. And bear in mind, your internals will not be back to pre-pregnancy size until 6 weeks postpartum - be a bit kind to your pelvic floor in the early days. That's about all I can offer you at this stage. See you on the road ;-)

Trish said...

It has been 23 years since my last baby, but I recall I was running 100 km every second day within a week of the delivery. Toooo easy. ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha di ha ha. Sha xxx

Katie said...

Hey Clairie!
It is great to hear you are feeling like getting back out there! I will let you do the research and then I will pick your brain in about a month :-)

I am so excited about what is to come but am also looking forward to getting off the side lines.....it is a long time to sit patiently and watch evryone running....all worth it though!!!

Blog your prgress....I am very interested!!! Good luck and look after yourself.

Toasty said...

why wouldn't you want an injury? must be getting soft!