It is 5am. I am tired. Not sleeping well at all this week.
Will try to be in bed nice and early tonight if I can.
I have to leave in an hours time and I have not packed. My ipod that had all my carefully picked songs on it decided to delete them all when I reconnected after loading some mp3's last night so I was up till 11pm trying to recall the order I had them in. Gave up and whacked the library on it so now counting on a suprise to great me every 4mins out there on Sunday :)
I have not actually been NERVOUS until now. The cold weather has really put doubts into my head but I think I am using that as an excuse, surely cold weather will only make me run faster. But do I wear short skins or long......???
This week has gone so fast. A few short runs in absolute extreme humidity and heat - each of them leaving me feeling very hot, sweaty and exhausted. And none of them have been at faster than race pace or for long periods. It has just been that humid - our Tuesday run was 23 degrees and 95% humidity at 6am.
I haven't really been carboloading much. Just eating extra helpings, though I have been drinking way more than usual - with powerade mostly. Yesterday afternoon I had a big handful of chico babes (lollies) does that count? Today I will ensure I eat well and not let my nerves dictate my diet. much.
So here we are. I have 60mins to pack. Not to fear my race kit is in my rucksack already. It is just everything else. I have a list so I FEEL organised.
My race plan is imbedded in my head and I keep reminding myself to go out slow. The first 5km I plan to do in 26mins. Then build it up from there.
I have had so much support over the lead into Canberra and it has been great and until this week I was floating and gloating on all that support. It truly has been wonderful that so many people can provide me with advice, reassurance, warm hugs, positive vibes and all the rest that you all do for me. Then I came crashing down when someone phoned to say "you still have to run the race, and only you can do that".
I think somewhere along the line I got so caught up in the hub of training for a marathon I forgot I was actually going to have to run this marathon.
Again, reading Superflakes blog I was reminded - It will be hard. It is a challenge. That is why I wanted to do this in the first place. IT WILL NOT BE EASY. I have to keep telling myself so at 10km or 35km when the going gets tough I don't think 'man no one told me about this' and believe my race is over.
I have a very tough day to get through at work and I can't even think straight. Yesterday I was in a meeting and was noting my splits on a notepad and was very distracted. This marathon has been my life for so long now that I am desperate to prove myself to me and to all of you.
It is funny, I don't have doubts.....just nerves of the unknown.
Thank you for your support along the way. I know also that you will all be supporting me on the day too. That's when I need you and that's also when I can repay you for all your support by showing you that I can do this. I can run a marathon and enjoy it and work hard and achieve my goals.
I'll log on before I fly out at 3pm. See you all there Canberra or here in cyberworld next week. *waves, tears and hugs to you all*
Cirque, Hannah, Shane - wish you were coming. :(
19 comments:
Claire... you will be fine, your training will make sure most of that,you're attitude and determination will cover the rest! I look forward to hearing about a super-duper debut next time I see you :)
Hey Clairie, best of luck for your first trip over the 42.2km distance.
I am quite sure you will be fine once the gun fires and you are on your way. See you on Sunday.
All the best
Spud
Best of luck Clairie. You can do it. Just grit your teeth from 30k when the quads start whining.
I vote for the short skins. It is not going to stay cold all race.
Go get 'em!!
You go girl! Race hard - stay true to your race plan and enjoy the atmosphere of the big day.
You can do it and you can do it well.
CU soon. Don't forget to call/text me at the end.....
She'll be apples Clairie ;-)
Have a ball mate - look forward to reading the report!
Clairie, don't worry about the nerves, they're part of the 'fun'. Sure, marathons are tough, but they're usually only tough for a very short period. The rest of the time they are almost easy.
Its all gonna be over too quickly, it doesn't seem right after all the months of effort you put into it. So make the most of those few hours you are out there.
And whatever you do don't forget to smile for the finishing photo :-)
all the very best marathon virgin! Don't be worried about how bad you've felt during the taper, and particularly in these last couple of days. Believe me, tapers are devil-spawn and are meant to mess with your mind ;)
You'll do us all proud saint clair. I'll be thinking of you and everyone competing on Sunday
Take it easy and remember their is no failure when you start the marathon. The first win is toeing the starting line fully prepared - which you are. If you don't run as planned that is not failure just a missed opportunity that can be fixed next time and with you I am sure there will be many more.
See you on Saturday and have a long a good sleep tonight as more than likely Saturday night will be restles.
Hey Clairie!! See you soon! the nerves hit me this morning as well! Don't worry you have done the training the rest will happen! Take care, try and sleep well tonight and eat :-)
Clairie I just treated my one and only marathon as a long training run with a lot of people. Just helped me relax by doing not thinking I was in a race.I know you will have a great race. Can't wait for Sunday morn and the finish stories.
Clairie, looking forward to watching you big finish on Sunday. There is nothing to be nervous about, you have done all the work. Just enjoy achieving your goal and soak up the support of everyone on the day.
Clairie, looking forward to watching you big finish on Sunday. There is nothing to be nervous about, you have done all the work. Just enjoy achieving your goal and soak up the support of everyone on the day.
It will be hard but you'll do it Clairie.
Although cold at the start it'll be Qld early morning weather by 30k. You may need to dump gloves, beanie etc!
Good luck!
Clairie, it is normal feeling the way you are. As others have said, you have done all the hard work and trained the house down. When the going gets tough on Sunday, just tell yourself that this is what you have trained for and accept the challenge. Looking forward to seeing and HEARING you in Canberra on the weekend.
You have nothing to prove to us mate, you're one tough chicky!
I wish I could be there to cheer, but I'll be madly waving my virtual pom poms wherever I am.
Hi Claire,
This is Cass, Shane's wife here, Shane is currently out bush for a few days (I am sure he is having blog withdrawals!) so I thought I would pop in and check to make sure that all your plans are goign along smoothly. Glad to hear that you are focused and ready to go, from Shane and I - Good luck to you, enjoy it and remember why you love to run when the hurt gets too real. Enjoy it, in my eyes, you and Tesso and the like are all nuts! :) but I deeply admire the determination and commitment you all have to doing what you love! Take care, you'll be fine! Can't wait to hear about it!
You'll be running any time now enjoy yourself Clairie.
Most of the journey is about who you have become with the training I suspect.Now your at the starting line the next chapter is beginning...
Have an awesome run!
R2B
I heard (i'm not a stalker! lol!) from CR Chub that you had a fine run today.Congratulation!
Low 3:23?Well done,
hope you pull up well.
R2B
Post a Comment