Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Easter Egg Run - 10km

Good Friday was fantastic - I got up early in the morning and could not rouse any of my family so headed out to the Family Easter Egg run on my own. That was the only bad bit of the day :)

The race didn't start until 7.00am so it was great to be able to just hang around and chat to everyone and soak up the fun race atmosphere.

Liz and I decided we were not in good enough form to race (well I won't be for another few months yet...) so we make a decision to pace Greg to his sub 50min 10km. He had been trying for more than 12months to do it and always failing for one reason or another. We both knew he was capable, he just needed to know it himself. We didn't tell him about 'our decision' as we knew he would just get really nervous.

At the gun we headed out reasonably slowly keeping just behind Greg. He had shot out and was racing ahead but we hoped he would pull it up soon. He was bang on 4:50 for the first km so we agreed he would just have to run that pace the whole way now. :) Just before the second km Liz and I caught him and told him to not talk and just follow us. We ran in front like bodyguards and kept telling him to stop looking at his watch. He was actually slowing down pulling paper from the back pocket of his shorts where he had his pacing table...and then putting it back. He did this every km for the first 4km then I wouldn't let him do it again. Did I mention I was the BAD COP. Liz was the GOOD COP. We had so much fun.

The second loop we could see that he was doubting himself so we just talked him through it and before you knew it we were coming up to the turn in the road - about 300m from the finish. I yelled out to his daughter who was official timer "Jen Jen we're coming" and she just looked up in disbelief. Then we told Greg to give it everything he had. Man did he ever. I was struggling to keep up - as was Liz - he really sprinted it in! Crossed the line in 48:31 with Liz and I pulling back to let him cross on his own. Jen and Greg (her dad) were crying and laughing and just so emotional. Liz and I were too - it was a great moment and I hope I have many more of them.

We got an email from Jen later that day:

>Dear Liz and Claire,
Thanks so much for pacing Dad this morning - you made his and my day. I was so overwhelmed to see that you both stuck with him all race, encouraging him all the way. When Dad started running about 18 months ago now he was overweight, over worked and unfit. Our first run together in Noosa was under 6km's, it took him ages and he threw up at the half way mark. After we finished the run, Mum told me I would give him a heart attack if we keep it up! Now he is running half marathons and sub 50 minute 10kms and has such a passion for running, he inspires me! We are so lucky to be a part of this community. I really appreciate what you did for Dad today. Anyway sorry to sound so gushy - I just really miss running at the moment, and today is what I love best about it!
Hope to be back soon,Love Jen.

11 comments:

Eagle said...

it is such a wonderful feeling to help another runner and even better if they achieve their goal. The email from the daughter is priceless and says it all and more. For a preggo lady you did okay yourself.

Stephen Lacey said...

Curse you for making me cry at work!

Tesso said...

Nice work Clairie. Not just helping Greg to get his long overdue sub 50 but you cheered up poor injured Jen.

Hope the Easter Bunny rewarded you, though I reckon seeing their faces afterwards would be enough of a reward :-)

Ewen said...

Brilliant Clairie. That's a great story. Have to admit I 'did a Steve'.

Rob said...

Ah! That is the whole wonderful thing about running....stories like tha abound and you never tire of hearing them.

Mat said...

That was a very nice thing you and Liz did for Greg. Good on you both :-).

I hope you grabbed some extra easter chocy eggs to eat on Sunday :-)

Samurai Running said...

Hello Clairie

Nice post. But I didn't cry, simply cause I'm a bit harder than Stephen and Ewen ;)

In a related matter,

I heard a story about one man who came to running later in life, about 65, and for the last 10 years of his life he was coached professionally and when he died his wife sent a letter to the coach saying, in essence, that although said fellow had led a wonderful life, travelled the world, loved and been loved, and reached the top of his field in his career, the last ten years of support and guidance under that coach had meant the most to him.

That speaks volumes but we know the giver gets just as much out of the deal.

Thanks for sharing.

Hannah said...

Good for you, dude :) Lovely story :)2y

Spark Driver said...

Great job there. I remember when I first went sub 50 mins/10km it was a grwat feeling to acheive that goal.

owen said...

Hey Clairie,

Hope Canberra was fun!

Need any more volunteers for this weekend? My hips out and I've got two weeks of physio before I'm back.
You can call on 0414 450 494, or email owenwareham(at)hotmail.com.

Stay cool,
Owen

Ewen said...

Clairie, there's a nice colour photo of you on the back of the AURA magazine (6' results). Also another on the inside.