Today was truly amazing. If you can just ignore the times for a moment and consider all the action - it truly makes for such a fantastic day out.
I arrived early to Brisbane Road Runners for a 5km Race. With my injury and complete lack of speedwork for three weeks I had to complete a 5km race to get my NY Marathon Plan realigned with where I was at. So regardless of what I would like to have achieved I just had to run my hardest and do the best I can. I was given a target of 1940-20:30 to aim for. Holy Moly that is fast (for where I am at).
I did the prescribed warm up of 4km very easy. Toilet break, some run throughs and was feeling eager to see what the body could do.
Standing at the start line felt a bit silly. There was less than 50 people in the race as most had decided to do the 10/15km option that started 30mins earlier. Regardless I was not here to compete, I was here for a time.
The time came and off I went. First female out of the block (I honestly was worried about the young little girls lined up in front that seem to run SOOO fast!).
The slower runners in the earlier race (on the same course) proved to be good targets to just keep passing. It was amusing to be overtaking so many people so early on.
At the halfway mark I took note that I was first female. There was a group of men only 100m ahead of me so I tried to keep with them. I lost a bit of time at the turn around as it slowly goes uphill for a bit and I mentally sagged as I had no one chasing me and no one really to chase but then I picked it up. Soon I past the guy that was coming third. The other two were in front of me. They grabbed water at the water station - so I did too. Mistake of mine but I was trying to do everything they do. It didnt go down so well - even just a mouthful that it was - as I was running so hard. I didn't need water so was just a silly move.
With 1km to go I overtook the second male. Woo hoo this was just like the olympics. I was having fun and the feeling was amazing that I just felt so strong and like the fastest woman in the world. (great imagination heh!!).
I gave it everything I had and crossed the line 50m behind the lead male very happy to have finished. Not so happy with the time. It was a slow race - I did 20:59 and subsequently the coaches at NYRR have dropped my goal marathon time and relevant training paces to meet my current standards. A bit devastating but reality hurts and humility is a good teacher. Its an honest snapshot of where I am at and what I am capable of doing. Now to try to work on improving it. I have another race in two weeks and I really really would like to be showing some improvement by then.
It was pretty awesome feeling to be called out as the winner and go up and collect my trophy (sugar bowl). Great way to start the day I must admit.
Now to sit back and enjoy my dinner with the showing of the Olympic 2012 Men's Marathon...after all I know what they are going through. bahahahahaha
No comments:
Post a Comment