Friday, August 03, 2012

It's been a long week

Since last Wednesday I have been struggling to find the secret of healing. I think I have it. I should patent it. I call it DISTRACTION. If your body needs to recovery over time. You need to distract yourself. Get a hobby. Book yourself solid at work. Join a gym. Go on holiday. Whatever it takes.
Next time I might even follow my own advice.

This time around I have done the following:
Wednesday - awesome massage by the Demon (aka Jodi Willett) who pressure pointed my hammy but also rubbed the ITB raw.
No NSAID until I really knew what the issue was.
Thurs - rest
Friday - 6km easy in new shoes
Toasty sent me a book (aka long email) about injuries and what I should be doing etc. I then scoured the internet for information on hammy/ITB injuries and self diagnosed myself.
Saturday - rest. Massage and cupping with the Witchdoctor - Billy helped (my4yo) awwwww
Sunday - 8km easy (at night to extend the rest period). Felt pressure at 3km mark. Pain at 4km mark. Stopped and stretched then headed home. It actually started to get better on the way home. Likely it just didn't get any worse and I was warmed up now and close to home and mentally willing myself to heal and feel no pain.
Monday - Rest
Tuesday - 5km on treadmill and strength session at gym.
Wednesday - Rest. Full body massage more for overall relaxation. Company shout after hectic travel schedule.
Thursday 5km and strength session outdoors. No niggles during run but still not 100% when walking.
Started Celebrex - 2 x 100mg a day for a few days.
Friday - 10km new shoes and great run. Feeling fantastic and like I am actually getting on top of things. This coming week (Sunday to Saturday) in the NYM plan that the NYRR did for me was a down week - ie with low mileage and speed. So I might just throw myself back into that plan (60km week) and then get back on track.

I'll keep you posted.

No comments: