Tesso rang me yesterday with the devastating news that Kerryn has breast cancer.
It really amazes me the number of people surrounding me that struggle with cancer of one sort or another. It is never good news and I pray hard that Kerryn has successful treatment that can remove the cancer and quickly.
She is 32 weeks pregnant - same as me and due to give birth on 22nd October. However reading the bits of news it would appear they are going to put her into labour early so she can then focus on the cancer treatment.
After 34weeks the baby can be born with no ill side effects as their suckling relexes, breathing etc are all formed by this stage. Any earlier and there are risks the baby may have some difficulties but I am sure she will have the best support and team on hand to assist her through this. Another 10 days and she will be 34 weeks and at a good stage to give birth.
It makes me pause and consider how her family will get through the hard times of a new infant, two other young children and a mum with invasive cancer treatment. I wish the whole family a quick recovery for Kerryn and the strength and joy to all that a new addition to the family can bring.
Best of luck Kerryn. My thoughts are with you.
9 comments:
That news came as a shock. Best wishes Kerryn for a speedy and full recovery.
Hey Clairie - I agree, cancer is popping up way too often in way too many people - it feels like it's closing in or something?
I wanted to tell you how much the photo of you from your previous entry cracked me up. You are the happiest, most glowing pregnant person I think I've ever seen.
It's a beautiful shot!
Ally-Oop
Lovely words Clairie.
That is so sad, It would be scary to be diagnosed with cancer in a normal situation, let alone being pregnant and getting the diagnosise. I Hope all goes well for her.
And you, my darling sister, I hope you have a wonderful birthday today :-)
That is very sad news. This wll be a very tough race for Kerryn. It certainly gives one cause to stop and get life into proper perspective.
I am embarressed to say that I always thought of cancer as an old persons disease. But recently I have been forced to open my eyes and see how many young/middle aged people around me suffer through it. It is a scary thought.
By the way one of my favourite running moments is watching Kerryn win the 2006 Commonwealth Games marathon. Truely inspiring!
That news was a big shock, breast cancer is becoming far too common.
Cass was diagnosed 2 years ago when she was 23 and was receiving treatment before any of us knew she was pregnant with Sam. It is a tough situation and I know exactly how Kerryn and her family are feeling.
I was the same as Spark Driver and thought that conditions like breast cancer was something that older people got. It is scary!
It will remain a part of their lives as it is now a part of ours. The constant testing and treatment is tough but it is certainly something you dont mess around with. Too many people become complacent after they get the 'all clear' you can never be too cautious.
This bloody cancer is the scourge of our time. There is a Nobel Prize waiting for the person that makes a breakthrough with it.
But by what I've read the developments are really starting to come. I'm thinking of Kerryn and her family too.
Post a Comment