It was always going to be an amazing day. Being Toasty's birthday he was planning a big night Saturday with his wife and was not to keen to back up in the morning with a hard full core run. So he did what all good partners do...he choose to run with me as a pacer for my planned 4:40min/km pace 14km run.
It started out early for me. I got a reasonable nights sleep and was fresh, albeit hungry, in the morning. After two days of no running due to extreme weather and work conditions, I was GOING to run today no matter what. A can of V got me going and I rocked up early to BRRC.
Toasty and I headed out for a warm up and did about 2.5km of very easy running with maybe one or two pulses to update the heartrate.
We headed back to the start line with about 5mins to spare and caught up with Tesso and had a few good laughs with various fellow runners. I felt good and ready to rumble though a bit nervous - as I always am when trying to head for a specific pace.
We headed off in the starting pack and it was just a crazy but great feeling to be running with the really fast runners for the first 100m. In fact the first km was 4:15...mmm Toasty was not going to be much help today. GRRRRRRRR
It didn't get any better. I felt amazing for the first 4km and I really wished it was a 5km race. I could have nailed a sub 20 today I honestly believe. I was feeling that good!
Ahh was not to be. It was 14km and I had another two laps of 2x5km to do. We kept a good pace of approx 4:23 for the next 5km. Then we blew out a couple of 4:27 amongst some 4:15km. It felt even paced, the slower km were at the water stations or when my ipod drove me crazy. The fast km were when I had a good song or the water was kicking in.
I glanced over at Toasty from time to time and he was just cruising (bastard) but it was good to have him there even though I was not listening to him and hating every muscle in his body. We had time to call out to a few people and try to pose for photos so it wasn't all hard work!
At the end we crossed the line in good shape with a 1:01:01 awesome! I crossed the line feeling amazing and knew straight away I was going to recover well (ie not spew). 14km wasn't too long that we had pushed the limit beyond my capabilities.
The average pace worked out to be 4:18min/km so Toasty totally failed in his role as 4:40min/km pacer but I think we both knew outright he was never going for that anyhow. I just hoped his hangover was stronger than his desire to push me hard and see me get a great result from the run. For some crazy reason I ended up with a gold medal - first in my age group. 4th Female overall. Happiest female on the day!!!!
I spent 20mins releasing my hip when I got home so I'm hoping I can walk properly tomorrow.
I'm sitting here after a great run, then a great morning with my family, then a great afternoon with my running friends and now a great glass of wine!
How can I say life is anything other than GREAT.
1 comment:
Nice work. Yes hard to work out IF a marathoner needs speed work and if so WHAT kind. I id my own version this morning. Keep training and keep injury free.
Post a Comment