Monday, October 03, 2011

Mondayitis

I had Mondayitis this morning. THEN I RAN. It disappeared.

Toasty and I went for a light jog in the cool morning - it was wonderful to have no pressure and just be coasting along the river and taking in the sights. Was a bit chilly but nothing unbearable. I was tired still - I am going to keep noting that to see how it affects my performance and training so excuse the repeatedness - though again I was glad to be on my feet running. I have to run when I can with Billy and Allan's shifts.

I had intended to run a 2km warm up...we got to 3.5k before I even looked at the Garmin!!!

Down to business Toasty was mean and made sure we stuck to the plan and did some tough love 1KM efforts. Not the sort of thing I felt like after Sunday's run and I think Toasty was as tired as I was.
The first effort was torture. I was following Toasty all the way (no big suprise) and after 500m was ready to fling myself in the river. Or in front of a car. Or bike. Or just lay down and cry. I would have taken any option by my feet were doing their thing and turning over. Before I knew it we stopped and I gasped for air...THAT WAS HORRID. The thought of doing that all over again (x3) was hurting my head. But I was in a partnership and having dragged Toasty out I wasn't going to give up now.

The next effort was cruisy. I was in the zone and completely suprised to realise I was a second faster than the first one. Wow. I thought for sure it was way slower with a bit of wind, being uphill slightly and well simply...not being the first one.

The next two just got better and better. Though I really did not want to do anymore. The last one was not even running..it was CHASING. I was desperately trying to close the gap between the two of us. I knew it was impossible but it was something to aim for and a fun game.

Timing was split like this:
3:53min/km
3:52min/km
3:53min/km
3:46min/km

The coffee, then hot shower afterwards were all the reward I needed. A truly awesome way to get rid of the Monday morning blues.

1 comment:

Toasty said...

Very proud to call you my training partner