Time Trials always affect me somehow...
This morning I bounced out of bed and quickly dressed and got on my way. Hubby encouraged me to drink some caffeine to see how it would go - so I chugged it down on the way out the door.
Got there a bit early but could not find a park (all closed off for roadworks) so I had to move the car to the other side which took up all my time. I got there just as Pat was saying for the first group to head out.
Tess and I headed out and then I felt ill (=nerves) so raced to the loo. Came out and found Tess and Tara waiting for me....true meaning of friends :)
We ran to the start line and got there just as Pat was about to start the strides. I never felt great on the strides. I was hot and it was very humid. The sweat was pouring off me and I felt dizzy. Not a good sign.
I asked Min for a mouthful of her water (no-one else had any) and then it was time.
Pat paused us for a moment to tell us about his experience in racing and I smiled inside thinking "elitist bullshit won't work for slow (relative to Pat) people like me" .
He said he used to relax his body when running hard and that got him in the zone without him feeling like he was doing as hard an effort.
So we took off, with such a large group it was hard to get going and I was dodging people and sidestepping to the point of hilarity. We are so friendly I almost expected someone to move aside and say "you first".
Anyhow....there I was trying to do what Pat said and relax. It wasn't easy as all my fellow runners were in front, Tori, Andy, Jan, Tara and Tess. Usually I've got the gun on them until at least the 1km turnaround before they overtake me. As it was I ran well until the 500m staying behind but then started to catch a few without increasing the effort. By the 1km turnaround I was running and quite comfortable with my effort. I remembered telling Tess that the second km is always shocking and real slow so I put in a sprint for 30m to save on any time I lost by turning (pathetic heh) then settled back into chasing Ciaran in front.
At the 2km mark I was tiring but looked at my watch and saw 8:01. How exciting, so I did the same little sprint before settling into a very un-relaxed uncomfortable 1km. It was hot, legs were tired and I wanted to sit down.
Tess zoomed past along with many others and they all yelled out for me - where did they get their breath??? This really encouraged me and I persisted to the very end.
Got to 200m out and Jodi was on my shoulder and said "30sec you can do it 30 more sec" so I groaned and kept it on.
Then it got really hard as I was determined to do as best as I could so I wanted a strong finish. I pushed really hard and sprinted as much as I could - which wasn't that great but it got me there.
Finished at last!!!!! And a bloody great PB too!!! 11:56 and many smiles...........
Did the obligatory vomit and tears at the end *shame* but nothing could wipe the smile.
Daughter just rang and is cooking dinner and her special brownies. Hubby is picking up bottle of wine. Man oh man it is Christmas today :)
All my thanks and gratitude go out to two wonderful women. Tess and Jodie.
Tess for believing I had it in me and not being suprised at all when I finished with a PB!!
Jodi for her magical words "there you are clairie, I was looking for you, hurry up and I'll wait here" - made me feel very special and gave me the incentive I needed to pass Ciaran.
PS. Caffeine Roolz :)
20 comments:
Way to go Clairie - I'm sorry I wasn't there to see it!!
Never had any doubt that you would go sub 12 one day!!! Now..... for sub 11:30!!!!
Matty
Excellent... ITB, what ITB :)
And I thought all the heat was coming from the sun this morning. I was mistaken, it was coming from you - you were on fire!
Fantastic run. Smart run. You paced yourself perfectly. Your times last week indicated that sub 12 was on the cards and you nailed it. The rest of we girls from the usual pack could only watch on in awe.
But hey, you left out the second best part of the story - the 'Pat hug' :-)
Looking oh so good for Kurrawa.
Fantastic time Clarie - congratulations. Following your progress lately has been inspiring - thanks :-)
You're right Clairie, that really is a "bloody great" PB. Well done mate!
Awesome run Clairie!!! Sub 4km pace woo hoo!!! You deserve it with all the effort you put in :-)
Enjoy the brownies!!!
A string of 3 sub 4's woohoo! .... Doesn't surprise me by the way you have been going lately.
Awesome run Clairie - congratulations on your latest PB. What a great way to end the year.
J
Way to go Clairie!!!
Always good to see the results of hard training end in a PB, many more to come I am sure....
Top run, Clairie.
Ahh, caffeine! Glad to see your month of self denial is well and truly over!
Woohoo! Go, you! Fantastic PB :) Can't wait to see how you go at Canberra!
Way to go Clairie. A nice way to finish the last TT of the year. It sounds as though I would have trouble keeping up with you at the moment. It's nice to see hard training efforts being rewarded. Good luck at Kurrawa on Sunday.
Oi! Don't blame it on the caffeine - that incredibly fast run was all your own fault.
You're getting me fired up to train... alas, I must take it easy until Sunday...
See you at Kurrawa.
Well done on the PB. Good pacing.
First the caffeine and then the "special brownies". Are we allowed to know what's in them to make them special?
Maybe your daughter can make a batch for Sunday ;-) See you then.
Great work Clairie! You never surprise me. There are a lot more PB's where that one came from. Have a great run on Sunday.
Great stuff, sub 12 minutes, believe in yourself and you can go further. This time last year was when I first broke 12 minutes, my PB is now 10:50 in just under 12 months!!!
have fun.
Excellent run Clairie. Now for that sub 40 10k hey? Keep up the good work and it looks like Pat is pushing you hard so the PB's should keep coming!
My god Clarie what have you done!!!! Sub 12 for 3 ks - what next. Well run another sub 12 and next time I am sure it will be easier and minus the chuck THEN you will start passing other runners and have enough breath to call encouragement. Seems you are now moving into mentor status in the group.
Really congratulations but no entires since the PB????
Sub 12 for 3km! Wow! Wee! Fantastic result, Clairie & what a joy to finish the year with....unless you intend beating that over the next couple of weeks!!
Caffeine Roolz :)
It certainly does!
Post a Comment