Sunday, December 11, 2005

Kurrawa 2006 - (25km Running Buddy Championship)

Firstly thanks to everyone for your very kind and thoughtful comments re: time trial.

I was too nervous to post in between but now have finished my goal race for the year and have some comments to say. Sorry it's not a two liner *grins*

Met up with Tesso at the hotel for some pre-race day relaxing. The great thing was to see I wasn't the only one consumed with nerves. After hearing our friends secret training regime it was very disheartening and I certainly felt immediately underqualified to race when I had done so little in comparison to their comprehensive training.

Nonetheless I knew Tesso and I had both worked hard towards this race and if nothing else...we will enjoy it.

I didn't get a good night sleep but was comforted by Jackie Fairweathers words 'sleep the night before has no impact on your race'. Now I know what she means - the adrenaline kicks in and wakes you and gets you to the start line. Your training gets you to the finish...and if you are like me...hubby gets you home :)

4:30am registration. There were so many last minute regos that the race was delayed 10mins. I didn't worry too much as I was in line for the loo and it would have been awfully inconvenient for them to start on time.
5:10 and off we go. The first few km were fun. We were all one big group running together with an aim to go hard and go long. 156 competitors in all - 67 teams doing 25km each runner (a 50km race) and the rest were solo runners.

I felt good but it was disappointing to not have km splits to be able to gauge how you are doing. I trusted my gut instead and maintained the pace - fully expecting to blow up at around 18km.
5km and David Lang went past me - WTF? - he is a fast runner from Pat's group and we started together. Turns out he took a wrong turn DOH. My worst nightmare.

I kept the runner in front of me in view and persisted on with the race. I was overtaken only a few times but each time thought it was Tess or Karen coming to exert their prowess in the endurance events so I pressed on.

I have to pause here and remember Allan my wonderful husband. He awoke with me at 3:30am. Drove me to the race, met me at each 2-3km with water/endura and yelled at me how I was going. He even held signs written from Matty (I had my ipod on) to tell me how others I knew were going. The worst/best one being "TESS IS 75sec BEHIND YOU" 75sec seemed a very tiny time in a 25km race and much as I wanted to finish with her it meant I was slowing down (she was running with a garmin and doing 4:45pace) so I had to kick in another gear.

I got sick after taking a gu but kept running and tried to not break my stride. I was aching and cramping but I just persisted in taking on cold water and it seemed to work. Some time later I asked "am I half way" only to be told I had 6km to go. In reality I had 4km...which shows how much I was out of it.

Not much else to say except when I felt I was getting near the end there was this ginormous hill. Wasn't this meant to be a flat course? I died going up it and then thought the finish was on the other side...but you had to run another 500m along the top before tumbling down to tag your partner. I had enough energy to yell out "Robbie get ready here I come" quite loudly and seemed to shock a few *grins*

Final result - I did my sub 2hrs. 1:57:12 and very very proud. I can now relax and enjoy my Christmas and look forward to lots of wonderful long runs with Tesso in the build up to Canberra. Tess I think you're terrific and I wouldn't have done today without you buddy.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO ALL MY WONDERFUL E-FRIENDS.

Team results for Running buddies:
1st Liz (brilliant effort from her) and Glen
2nd Tess and Nick (who had a blistering run)
3rd Claire and Robbie

15 comments:

Dave said...

Well done Clairie, a great run and report!

Just think only another 17.2km to run in Canberra, already looking forward hearing your training plans and catching up, but first enjoy a little break!

Shane said...

Firstly we don't know each other but I stumbled across your blog and have found it good reading. Congratulations on your run today it good to see you achieved your goal, well done.

Tesso said...

Faaaaantastic run today Clarie!

Pity you don't have supersonic hearing, you would've heard me encouraging you from afar ... as it turned out way afar! Maybe it cos I don't like being wrong, and I had picked you guys to win our little comp ;-)

I'm so glad we got to travel back to Kurrawa to together in the car, it was so much fun. Man, did we stop taking about the race for one second :-)

I'm really looking forward to our (tee hee, secret) Canberra training, just hope I can keep up with you now!

Congratulations on achieving yet another goal.

Superflake said...

Congratulations on achieving your goal Clairie and doing 3mins under the time as well. Keep the secret training going and I'll see you in Canberra.

Katie said...

Well done Claire!!! Sub 2hrs thats awesome!!! Great race report... I love it when I feel nervous when I read the report... will she do it??? It is great to read about your hard work and training and then for you to achieve your goal is wonderful!!
Enjoy Christmas and here's to 2006 and Canberra! It will be great to meet up with you there! Although it will be after the run... you will be just a wee bit in front of me :-)

Bennyr said...

Well done, Clairie. You nailed it!!

Excellent report, too.

Great form to take into Canberra.

2P said...

Wow! Almost 3 mins under 2 hours for 25k - that is brilliant Clarie. Well done ;-)

Just doing the maths in my head again..... WOW THAT IS BRILLIANT!!!!

Hannah said...

Woohoo! Go, Clairie! Fantastic effort on a boiling hot day :)

Unknown said...

Fantastic effort, Clairie! Sub 2 hours for25km is incredible; you must have worked very hard to get that fast. Canberra here they come!

Jen said...

WOW :-)

Congratulations Clairie on your sensational run and on achieving your goal (*standing ovation)

Bring on Canberra !

Tamyka Bell said...

Travelling back to Kurrawa in a car... hmmm that sounds nice! Well done, you've been so inspirational :D

Even though you guys had only finished a few minutes before, you took the time to help me fill my camelbak and water myself down before I headed back, so thank you. I think that if you guys hadn't been there, I would've stopped for a lot longer.

Cirque said...

That's a really fantastic result Clairie, but I'm not surprised you made such a good time. You have worked SO hard for this all year and you deserve every bit of it. Well done you clever girl!

Horrie said...

Congratulations on a great run Clairie. You absolutely smashed that sub 2 hours. Things are looking good for Canberra.

Spud said...

Excellent improvement Clairie, watch out Canberra 06!

Robert Song said...

Well done. It certainly is a good feeling when you target a race and nail it like you did. Boy is it a tough event to race under those conditions.

You really looked strong when I passsed you going on the hill near the turn around.

And thanks for all the encouragement out on the road on the way back. It may not have looked like it was helping but it did.