Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Dismal Effort Clairie.....

Pretty disappointed with my weekend on the Gold Coast.

My run was fairly ordinary but I am happy that I was able to run the best I could on the day - can't really ask for more than that. And I figure with all my good runs this year I was destined to do a not-so-good one anyhow!

I am mostly disappointed because I let everyone down this weekend.

Jen_runs was counting on me to bring my bike down so she could be more involved in the run and cycle along supporting everyone. A great idea but guess who forgot the bike when I decided to get a lift down with Tesso instead of going with the family in the 4wd??

Then in the race itself Miners was running along at a great pace - exactly as prescribed - but I just couldn't keep up. He gave up his run and getting others across to come back and get me and push me to the end. I will never forget that. But I also feel I don't ever want to run with a pacer again. I can't handle that feeling of not performing as expected. It is bad enough having a bad run but even worse when everyone knows it and they feel responsible for you.

Finally my choice to not rehydrate on the run - aside from two sips in the early stages was based around me thinking I would only be running for 95mins and that didnt' require much additional fluid. I forgot I'd had a runny nose all night and did not drink anything from when I woke up - so I started behind the eight ball.
We learn from these experiences but I will never get back the moment of seeing my boys (Mr Clairie and Master Clairie) crossing the finish line together in their first big race. It was momentous for Matty and I am still cursing that I missed it all.

The best thing to come out of the weekend was actually seeing everyone finish and realise their goals. Tara was outstanding, Glenda was amazing, Lizzle a tower of strength, JD making his comeback sneaking past Tess, Eddie - not for his run this weekend but because now I get to race him at Canberra once more and take him on. Robertsong for making the startline, all the PCRG runners who either achieved their goal or "finished the damn race" and celebrated anyhow - thats spirit. Then there are the coolrunners - Blue Dog (dammit ok so he is much faster than me, I admit it), Aunty - for giving me someone to chase when I needed it, VAT - Holy Shit Vat!

I think I will have to do a separate post on the CR Cheersquad. They just really lifted everyone and selflessly gave something back to the running community that reminded us all out there why we love to run.

I guess that's why I'll be lining up at Noosa - so I can get a cheer or two when I go past attempting to break another Clairie World Record :)

8 comments:

Shane said...

Although disappointing, dont beat yourself up about how the weekend went. It's not like you planned it, things like that happen.

Im sure Mr and Master Clairie aren't too worried about you missing the race. You being looked after was more important and that you are feeling OK ready to cheer them on for their next big event.

Keep Smiling :)

Cirque said...

Ouch! Don't be so hard on yourself Clairie!!!

If it helps at all - I have yet to see Owen cross the line - I'm always a k or so back cheering for everyone else.

Don't forget Mr C and Mini C wouldn't even be there if it wasn't for your enthusiasm!

Toasty said...

You finished 22nd out of 327 in your category.

This wasn't even the race you are going to nail.

Maybe you will learn to drink next time and that's something to take away for the day.

Superflake said...

Some days we have a race that disappoints us at first. And then you workout what went wrong and turn it around and use that to nail the next one. I know you can do it at Noosa. Go for it Clairie!

Katie said...

The best lesson to learn is the drinking thing! I did a similar thing in the lake Maquarie half a few years ago.... did not drink and then collapsed over the line! Once I realised I wasn't dying and taken back my "I will never run again"... I used the experience to do a pb in the half 3 weeks later! Don't be too hard on yourself!

2P said...

You summed it up with your second sentance ;-)

Robert Song said...

Hope you have recovered from the weekend both mentally and physically.

I'm sure there will be lots more opportunities to see Mr C and Mini C again. Great time for the young lad as well. If he has your tenacity he will go far ( and fast).

Tesso said...

Oh to have a crappy day and run 95 mins! It may not be a PB but its a 2B, so that's something. And you look pretty good in the photos. Well, the ones where you were on your feet ;-)

Its always good to have a 'medical tent' story to tell, and you should get plenty of value out of yours.

Congrats to the rest of the Clairie Clan. I'm still amazed at how well those boys did. What the hell do you put in their food???


PS Noosa - bring it on!!!!