8km Regatta Run - coach said to run 4km at 5min then turn around and run 4km back in 4:30min pace.
The first km was dismal at 5:12min - but I always warm up slowly so wasn't too worried.
Each km after that got faster so I decided to keep it going that way and I would be happy.
I knew I would have never been able to run 4km at 4:30min/km pace. I had 300ml of blood taken over the past two days which fatigued me a bit but moreso the weather was absolutely humid this morning. I thought I was hallucinating when another runner mentioned the breeze was really nice - obviously she was walking a lot - but thankfully Tesso backed me up and said it was one of our most humid days so far this year. Thank goodness - I was starting to feel like it was just me!!!
Anyhow, at the turnaround I was doing 4:50 and then got it down to 4:45, 4:40, 4:32 and final km was 4:31. I was very tired when I was running. My legs were really hurting and I thought I was going to spend the day in bed. My HR was also high for an 8km effort - around 165bpm.
But within a minute of finishing I felt great and wondered what all the fuss was about. Didn't eat for about 2hrs after my run - second time this week - which really annoys me as it doesn't help the diet or the recovery!!!!!
Now just one big bloomin long run to get through tomorrow and it will be a new week.......
11 comments:
Power Bar have a satchet called Recovery in orange flavour .... it replaces electrolytes, etc.
Eat gummie bears or some other source of sugar.
Be ready for the big run Saturday there will be no prisonsers left on the battlefield!
That's great work Clairie!
I must stop reading your blog. I always feel so ashamed for complaining too much about my own tiredness.
and the relevance of the fish is ...?
"Didn't eat for about 2hrs after my run - second time this week - which really annoys me as it doesn't help the diet or the recovery!!!!!"
Now.......who was it that was lecturing me about seeing a dietitian earlier this week.......... :)
Mate, it really was Sweat City out there this morning. You should've smelt my car afterwards, I dropped dropped Robbie and Langy in town on my way to work ;-)
Are you fishin' for compliments Clairie?
Good luck with the bloomin' long run tomorrow. So glad I can't smell Tesso's car from down here.
We've had a few very humid days down here in Canberra - its been quite tropical including the daily thunderstorms.
I had a rest day today - so look forward to Fridays. Tomorrow is an easy peasy long run - looking forward to it.
Fish and humidity is not a good smell. Long run tomorrow will bring the mojo back.
One of these days, I'll actually come and run the Canberra Marathon. You always make it sound like such fun! (except for hard core humid runs and the not eating that is!)
Some really top notch running there Clairie - consistent and quick. There's nothing fishy about that. Good solid hard work.
Hi Clairie
I coundn't seem to get under 5 minutes a km this week either without feelin bad and I'm a slow starter myself so I know what you saying.
I can also relate to "ihatetoast," "cupcakes" has a ring certain about it. Even better if said by an Australian woman, with the accent, in the sentence "Can I get you a cupcake pet?"
Post a Comment