Tuesday, February 27, 2007

PCRG - Final Countdown

Pat was talking about a countdown to Gold Coast and all I could think of was how many training days I had left until Canberra.
There are 33 more days of training. Following by 13 days of taper before RACE DAY.
Of those 33 days I am likely to need a rest day each week. So that is less than 30 days available to me. Holy Moly.

Today we had 3km warm up; 1km; 500m ; 1k; 500m; 1km and 3km cooldown.

I worked hard on the efforts but it was easy to tell that I was exhausted from the running and travel of the weekend gone by - even with a rest day yesterday. I heard Pat say 1st km was 3:58 but I started in the group after and I don't know when he started his watch. It was very confusing. I didn't wear my own watch because I didn't want the pressure of running to a time. The rest of the efforts I just tried to keep up with Tess and Celeste.

It was really good because on the last 1k Glenda ran beside me and told jokes whilst i was trying to breath, then she went onto somenoe else and I was struggling and about to die when Celeste went past me and said my name - which made me stick with her. It was a good feeling to be able to find something left.
When I finished I was very red faced and breathing really hard. I am sure my HR was way up. I decided to run down easy but when I started running I realised that my breathing got under control and I was able to keep an even pace all the way back until just at the top of the goodwill bridge, where I again faltered and slowed a bit.

I am happy with the session today and can't wait to do another Canberra Training Session. I just don't know how I will be able to manage holding it all together.

6 comments:

Ewen said...

And not all of the available 30 days will be hard sessions eh ;)

Start a conversation, then Tess and Celeste will have to slow down to hear what you're saying.

You'll hold it together and thrive Clairie.

Tesso said...

Hang on, I was trying to keep up with you! Or not let you make too big a gap between us.

Gee, we are so lucky to have the people around us that we do. If it wasn't for the little bunch around us I would have been standing on the sidelines after the first rep complaining I was tired from work. You all kept me going. And it seemed different ones were strong at different times.

It sure was a good one to get under the belt.

Rob said...

The hard work will pay off Clairie. I'll be eating your dust in Canberra...at some stage.

Superflake said...

See what happens when you spend a weekend partying with Tesso & JD. Good session after the weekend. Hope you keep pushing hard for Canberra. Hope to see you at that one.

Mat said...

That was a huge run you did on Sunday, so you can be excused for a days or so of being a little more tired.

Just stick with it, you are doing great!

Eagle said...

In the next 30 days or so each session will be hard and some will be disappointing because it seems like you are not getting fitter. That is because usaully the endurance runs are longer and the intnesity of the shorter sessions are higher.

Just don't panic and do mor and harder training as the chance of an over use injury will increase. Just accept that there is an ebb and flow - some good sessions and some other not so good.

Just go out and give it you best effort - train according tot he program and trust the taper to pull it all together for race day.