Monday, February 02, 2009

Forrest Clairie

Ha Ha someome made that comment on facebook and it certainly felt like it. After two rest days on Thurs/Fri I was prepared to do the hard yards on Saturday.

Started out at Ship Inn at 5am with the crew, we moved out at a leisurely pace and it felt great to be running with the crew instead of sprinting!!
We were chatting and laughing and making fun of everyone so before you knew it the km's were fast ticking over. The weather was hot but overcast so just perfect in my opinion.

I asked if we could run via the uni and do the Riverloop. That way we didn't have to tack on the West End component at the end of the run. It was lovely to do a different run for a change. It was all very hilly and I was running by myself for most of it. Glenn was ahead with Andrew and I had two Andrews behind me. I was piggy in the middle....yes I was missing Tesso!

At St Lucia Golf Club the guys didn't believe me we were only at 11.5km - it felt like we had been running all day.

Much later at 21km mark we arrived at the BP in Yeronga and stopped for a quickie. Glenn and Andrew went in and got a cold gatorade...it was heavenly. After that we trotted off through Yeronga and along the river and up to the end of the Green Bridge. That hill up was a killer!

Going up Highgate Hill was ok, I was in the zone and just focussing on how last week I had to walk up it..this week I was just determined to get through it. So there I was in the zone when someone from behind grabbed me and yelled (really loud) "DON'T EVEN THINK OF WALKING" I thought I was being mugged or killed and just screamed. Andy Clowes won't be doing that again! I think I scared him more! Anyhow....interesting to see the boys up ahead didn't even blink an eyelid....

At the top of the hill was decision time. Straight home for a 28.5km run or West End for a 34km? I went to West End. I had promised myself it I could get through Yeronga in once peice I should keep going - so I did.

It was great running to Orleigh Park and then along Riverside Drive..but as soon as we got to the rowing shed I started feeling real bad. I stopped for water (even though I had some on me) and started going again. My legs were really heavy.

Along riverside drive and then all of a sudden I was at the walkway going around the milk factory. At the top of the temp path I just stopped. My calves were on fire..I stretched them out but thought there was no way I could run any further. At 31.5km I had reached my end. I walked for about 3mins and then could see the river again and the wooden walkway..it was a sign of nearing home. I started running and felt much better. What on earth was I thinking before...this felt good! I had some music on and was happy to be almost finished. Up ahead the launch of the dragon boat festival was happening. I was about to detour but a marshall told me to go through and they would give way to pedestrians. Well he should have mentioned it was in the middle of the blessing ceremony and the monks were all chanting. I felt bad running through so slowed to a walk and courteously went to the side...I smelt so bad I am sure and was red faced and sweaty..I wish I had detoured.

anyhow another km down the road and I had finished. 33.9km on the Garmin but I'm rounding it to 34km. The average km said 5:27min/km but with the walking and the hills I know we ran most of it closer to 5:15min/km. Along riverside I am sure I was running 6min/km for that last km. It certainly felt slow!
My longest run in two years! I was exhausted all afteroon with tired legs but as Tesso said it was a "good tired" that I was feeling!

Sunday was a rest day. The legs felt great and for that I was thankful.

6 comments:

Superflake said...

Probably best for me not to slow down during a long run in training. I'll leave that for the race maybe!

Samurai Running said...

Now that you are able to get in those kind of long runs in you should soon start seeing your old form return.

He was a brave man sneeking up on you like that, I reckon :)

Rob said...

Great work Clairie! I have a pretty good idea how the run felt. It is amazing how we can push ourselves to keep going. That was a good one to have under your belt.

Toasty said...

It'll be easier next time.

Eagle said...

A good read of the run but an even better result. The distance, the pace and you ran the hill all showing you are returning to your previous wonderful running form. It gives me great pleasure to read of your retun to running and the obvious enjoyment and happines it gives you - well at least when you stop.

Unknown said...

WOW! Great long run Clairie!

I'm hoping to to go for 30k tomorrow...so hot I have to start at 5:00a.m cos it's going to take all day!

"Wish me luck as you wave me goodbye!"