Friday, January 13, 2012

Just keep moving Clairie

Since Tuesday I have been in a constant state of aching.
Tuesday night saw the introduction of a Core Fitness program (thanks for organising Tesso!!) for the next six weeks. We did heaps of squats, stretches, sit ups and skipping. Wow skipping - I haven't done that for years and have forgotten how good it is and how much I loved it. Almost fell flat on my face after tangling my feet up in the rope...but I was one of the more co-ordinated ones!
Wednesday morning was surprisingly easy to get out of bed. I felt it in my legs (my quads) but thought a run would be best anyhow to move the lactic build up. Sure was. Only problem I was running with a group of runners who all felt fresh and competitive and eager to ramp up the speed. I just hung at the back of the group and struggled my way out to the Tennyson Tennis Centre (where Serena Williams had played the day before) and back to SouthBank. 13km all up with a bit added on each way (officially the run is exactly 12km).

Wednesday night was house moving furniture night. Three hours of up and down the stairs, box after box. Chairs here...no there. Strip all the beds. Wash wash and wash. Needless to say Thursday morning I woke up and smiled. It was a rest day.
Then I went to get out of bed and realised I couldn't. Ha! Good thing it was a rest day..I wasn't going anywhere. It took me hours to get around and get moving. Not to mention a few coffees!
Thursday night was a late night. Got to bed around 11:30pm and was up again at the mercy of a promise to a friend to meet him at 5am at Mt Coot-Tha. So much for the friend - he stood me up.
Lucky I had old faithful (Toasty) and Matty O who let me follow them around the hill for the next 9.6km. We finished in a reasonable time considering and I felt much much better having finished. Later in the day though I was extremely tired and the late nights and early mornings, all the moving, all the stress at work and many other things were just all catching up.

A big day today (Friday) and I am trying to consider my options for the weekend. I have family commitments now for Saturday but am aiming for Sunday race day to still complete my 14km at BRRC. I won't be going for a PB at this race (thanks for your encouraging comments though...) I am not back to speed work yet. Just  trying to practice maintaining a decent /consistent pace.

Now...I'm off to scrub another wall.

1 comment:

Toasty said...

"old faithful" .. I prefer last resort ... thanks for letting me come along