Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Mike Hansen is Slow

Ha! Well I did warn him that I would blog about it. :)

PCRG Session today - with heat, humidity and no motivation. Seemed to work out okay though. After initially being a tad late I did the 3km warm up only to find out today's session was the one I hate the most...1min/30sec efforts. I find these quite easy as they are short hence I don't feel I get the full value of a speed session as a 'marathoner' but I'm guessing any speedwork for me at the moment has to be good.

We did a few strides and got stuck into it. 5 x 1min efforts with 30sec job inbetween. Felt really good though we were doing it on hills and I was constantly getting stuck with the 30sec recovery whilst going UP the hill...which meant it wasn't much of a recovery for the lungs.
After standing still for a minute we then turned around and did 30sec fast/30sec slow till we got back to where we started from. I lost count how many it took but it was fun. The fast efforts never seemed to last long. Maybe I wasn't really working hard enough??

Finally to finish it all off we had to do some hill repeats (WTF...didn't we just do that in the session??) so up the hill we went. Up hard, down easy. 5 x times. I'm guessing the hill is between 100-200m in length with a steep incline depending on where you start from. I like this hill but today I was burnt out. In a nice "I've worked hard at speedwork" kind of way.

On the last hill I saw the fast guys at the bottom. Just what I needed - incentive to get up. HARD. I called out to Mike to move it and off he went. I tried to keep with him and just hung on his shoulder and he raced up. Just near the top I managed to accelerate and get past him and push it to the very top. I'm not going to mention once at the top I had to stop or I was going to be sick...and he just cruised past and said 'nicely done'. I walked for a few metres before forcing myself to jog down the hill and get ready for the 3km warm down.

All up a nice effort that I'm happy with.

And now I've made up my mind. I need to PB at every distance this year (excluding marathon). Thats my goal. Seeing as I haven't kept track of my PB's that could be quite difficult to work out. I'm going to take a stab in the dark and put these as rough estimates that I want to improve on:

5k - 20:20
10k - 42:30
14k - 1:01:01
10Mile - 1:09 - mmm I think this one will be tough to beat!
21.1k - 1:34:19

2 comments:

Toasty said...

I suggest you add a 3k TT PB goal too, first week in Feb.

The 10mi would be your best PB ...I often check Macmillan, equivalents are:

11:22 3k, 19:49 5k, 41:11 10k, 1:31:38 half

Your 1k rep target is : 3:47 to 3:58

I feel like a running nerd!

Once a Runner said...

You're runner so well at the moment Claire. I think you are very close to a sub-90 Half!!

Have a crack at that 14k PB on Sunday!