Friday, July 06, 2012

Gold Coast Half Marathon 2012

Another pacing gig at the Gold Coast Marathon is done and dusted and what a run it was. This year the start was not as crowded as previously but I was soon to regret saying that as the crowds hung with us the whole way with no tapering once you got going!! Definitely need to talk to the organisers about some staggered starting times next year.

We had about 300-400 runners with Tesso (Pacer A doing gun time) and me (Pacer B doing net time) and it was a tough gig to run consistent pace when you could not even break into a decent run for 3km. Guess it doesn't help when you are wearing clown shoes *snigger*


I loved telling everyone around the 15-17km mark right before the bridge that they should all be hurting right now. I had someone tear up when I then said WE ARE ALL HURTING RIGHT NOW it's not just you. It's a shared pain and we can run together and finish this race and be HALF MARATHONERS!! (a number in the group are usually first timers).
Such inspiring stories as we made our way back to the finish and I really didn't want the run to end. Saying that though it is a tough day out there. Up at 4am to head to the tent, 6am race start, 8am finish by 9am we were at the 41km mark of the Marathon course and stayed there until noon cheering all the runners on. I got home at 3:30pm and was completely exhausted but wouldn't have it any other way. I hope I am always fit enough and keen enough to do the pacing gig. It is my favourite run of the year and gives me so much inspiration to carry on with my own goals that I need to include it as a MUST DO. I was 1sec per km out this year (1:59:40) as my garmin was on the setting that stopped timing when it sensed you were stopped (ie water station or when I turned around to talk to other runners and once when I was running backwards and then stopped and waited for this one guy to stop crying and be able to run again) so I knew I was a minute or so out and just had to fluke what time I was running in at.
I have to say one of the funniest things was getting asked to pace in the Sunshine Coast race in August. We tenatively agreed so when I got home the first thing I did Sunday night was log on and check out the run and the course. Proudly sponsored and raises funds for RONALD MCDONALD House. Pissing myself laughing....of course they want the clowns to pace!!!!

No comments: