Tuesday, December 12, 2006

KURRAWA 25KM

I put off writing my post because I needed to think a bit more about how I felt and what it all meant to me.

I love this race, it is honestly one of the most challenging runs I have done and it calls me back year after year.
The race is small - with approx 187 runners doing 25km. Of them 33 runners did the whole 50km this year. It is an out and back race - so 25km out (hand over to relay partner) and 25km back. A flat, hot course with hills. Sounds terrible doesn't it?

Views of the ocean, cars streaming past with runners cheering you on, friends driving 5km jumping out handing you drinks, jumping back in and driving further up the road. Family on the motorbike doing loops yelling encouragement and telling me how it was cooler a few km up the road if I can just get there......(liars!)
It was all good.

My relay partner Robbie had trained for months for this race after having a shocker last year. He worked very hard and was wired to put in a good run. He started out well but just towards the end his legs got very tired and he just couldn't go as fast as he wanted. Still - he did the 25km in under 2hrs so even though he was upset I was very impressed.
It was hot before I even started at 7.45am and I felt for Tess as I had not even seen her all morning since the start - her runner was injured and just taking it easy. Goodness knows when she would be starting!

THE RUN
After the initial 500m which is up a steep hill, I ran very hard for the next 6km. It was hot and I was not really warmed up. I was on 4.30min/km pace and feeling good but slightly breathless. I reached Liz by 7km and there was a group of runners there all keeping the same pace. I decided to go past and then ease up and get my breath back. Shortly after Hubby announced Tara was 200m behind me and just sitting there.

I was feeling unwell and in need of fluid but my camelbak only had weak powerade in it which I had been sipping. I took a gel and washed it down with the powerade. Everyone kept trying to offer me electrolyte drinks (must have thought I had water in the camel) so I kept refusing. I grabbed a cup of water at an aid station and it was cold and heavenly. I didn't realise until then how hot I was - this was 10km into the race!!
Shortly after I stopped and had to empty my stomach but it was brief and I felt better so it was the best thing to do. I had more powerade but cramped up shortly after. Looking back I know now I had no where near enough water. The powerade in the camelbak was a stupid idea.
My legs were happy little buggers and kept me going despite the rest of me telling myself I would never ever do this again. They kept going up the new hill and then raced down the other side to gain some momentum. Not long to go now.

With 6km to the finish Tara went past. It was good to see someone I knew and have a chat. I had been so lonely the whole race - I think that makes a difference. In the fist leg you have a lot of people around you pushing you to keep pace.
Tara was running well so off she went. She looked comfortable and I knew she was having a great day so I let her go.
3km on I had caught up and was only 2m behind Tara. We just played cat and mouse from there.

The First prize of the Running Buddy Trophy was on offer and we both wanted it.

I was getting uncomfortable again, Tara's partner Ciaran was offering water but I refused it thinking I just wanted to run and get it over with (only a few km now). Tara took some and put some ice in her ha - smart chick. I raced off and got in front and did some strides to put some distance between us. Not a good idea....1km on and I was hot and tiring very quickly. The effect of fartleking the last 7km had taken it's toll.
Tara went past again and kindly offered me her camelpak straw to take a sip, I smiled and said 'nothing could help me now'. She went off and I felt like I was going backwards.
Kurrawa SLC loomed up and she went left and I went right. Bloody got nipped by damn magpies, which was probably a good thing as it made me squeal and run fast. 200m to go.
Tara crossed and there I was just 30m behind her. I was devastated with my placing.
After I had cooled down I felt much better. I did a good time that I was happy with in those conditions and ran the best I could on the day. Tara had an absolute blinder and was always going to beat me in time (she started 1min AFTER I did) and was really suprised and happy with her efforts....but now I have to run next year to get that Trophy or I will be the only Running Buddy who has never won it. :(

At the end of the day I ran well and did 25km in those conditions in 2:03:00, gotta be happy with that.

My legs feel really good today so the recovery is going well and I should be back into form in a few days. I'm taking it easy until January when I will launch into my Sub 3:20 Training for Canberra.

Thanks for all the well wishes friends, it certainly worked and I felt you all with me out there on Sunday.

18 comments:

Matty said...

Great report Clairie - I felt like I was right there with you! You're one of my favourite all time runners cos' you just keep trying so hard, no matter what!

I'm sure you'll get the hydration/nutrition balance for long races sorted out in future.

Well done, Mate!!

M

Mat said...

Wow, what effort you put into running! Your an inspiration to keep striving, even when things turn into a struggle.

You did great, and should be proud!

2P said...

Well done Clairie and nice report.

Congratulations mate ;-)

Anonymous said...

Like I said, I still think your the queen of Kurrawa and very inspiring. One day you will get that trophy - even if we have to still it.

Little sis xx

Anonymous said...

That was meant to be Steal it!!

miners said...

Congrats clairie - and don't look now, but you're beating yourself up again over what was actually a really good race :)

Yeah, the powerade + gel mix isn't a good one, and can be murder on your belly. Stick with the water for washing them down. Are there water bubblers you can also rely on along this course?

Pass on my best wishes to Tara and Ciaran. Sounds like they both had a great race!

Robert Song said...

I'm with miners. That is a great time for that course and conditions. Well done.

A rest after such a race is a good idea before starting the Canberra build-up.

Stephen Lacey said...

Excellent run Clairie. You gave it everything and came up with a great time for the course and conditions. That someone else was faster on the day is neither here nor there. I'm sure that your disappointment was short-lived. Like the rest of us, you run for love not money. Placings are just an artificial construct. What matters is that you did your best.

Congratulations on a great run.

R2B said...

Excellent report and a top day out Clairie!

Well done!

Unknown said...

Great report, Clairie, on a great effort! Congratulations!

Jen said...

Congrats Clairie on a great run under really tough conditions. Well done!

Tesso said...

You make me laugh. You also make me feel guilty that maybe I had too much fun and didn't run hard enough to vomit ;-)

What an absolutely fantastic result. In my book (and everyone else's) you add 5 mins for the second leg so that brings you in just as fast or faster than most of our guys. I can't wait until next year to watch them suffer in the heat and run way slower than we all did :-)

And start making space for that trophy. I'll bet my bottom dollar it will take pride of place at your joint come December 2007.

Ewen said...

Sounds like you did it tough Clairie - good run though - nothing wrong with 2:03. You'll get that trophy next year. That's if wonder woman doesn't beat you to it.

Rob said...

Congratulations Clairie. Fantastic effort. Fantastic time. Great post.
All the best for the Canberra campaign.

Samurai Running said...

Hi Clairie

Inspirational! You really give it a go. I'm sure us fellow runners/bloggers owe you an Tesso some thanks as you both raise the bar giving us the motivation to try harder!"

I'm not really a "creep." But you are "so fucken special!"

See my lastest musical blog entry for an explaination of above comment.

Bernie G said...

Hey great run. I am looking forward to the after party when you do the sub 3.20hrs.

Shane said...

You done great Clairie, it was in very tough conditions and to still get very close to 2 hrs is an amazing effort. You should be proud of you achievement and hopefully next year barring no stomach issues you will get a podium spot for sure.

Stu Mac said...

Well done Clairie, 25km in warm conditions is tough stuff.

I must admit when I was reading I wondered about the gel being washed down with powerade?

All the best


Stu