Monday, December 18, 2006

Weekend Runs - its all good!!

After Kurrawa I did nothing. Zip Zaddo Naddo! Just ate, drank and watched movies late every night with the kids, went to Robbie Williams with Tesso and just spent the ENTIRE week thinking of anything but running. It was a good break.

Saturday I was keen to run again but knew I should only do an easy 12km. Easy it wasn't. It was bloody hot and I was tired after the first few km. My legs were fine but I could hardly get air into my lungs. It had nothing to do with fitness, it was all about weather. The day was slighly overcast which I thought would be good but it was dreadful and humid and days later I am still complaining. To top it all off Tess rang to tell me she was running in her jeans because it was so FREEZING in Canberra.

Sunday I was keen to run again and a group of us met on the Gold Coast beach and ran a very hard session for 50mins.
5min hard sand
5min soft sand
5min water running (just below knees)

Repeat 3 times and finish off with a run back to the start. Man it was tough and at the end we all just floated around in the tumble that was the surf. It was raining and there was no sun. It was actually cold - can you believe it! But the water was really nice and warm. My family - whom I had promised a great day at the beach (they played cricket whilst I ran) if they would just get up with me at 4.30am - were trying to work out which one would kill me first. We showered and went for a hot breakfast. It was all good.

Today I have calves that are like rocks and very tight. My feet won't fit into shoes at work because I have blisters covering the botttom of my feet. In fact everyone is asking if I went to see HAPPY FEET because I am walking like a waddling penguin today. But....it is still all good.

Can't wait for the next run.

9 comments:

miners said...

Great way to make use of the GC beaches! Although I was keen to see you write your name in the sand (you need a garmin, girl)

I thought you said something about caves and rocks at the end there, and thought you'd supplemented your running with some pot-holing too :)

Samurai Running said...

You do well mixing your family life with your running. I'm learning from you. Last week I took the kids to the local stadium and while I ran around the track the boys played in the long jump square or as I told them "the sandbox."

2P said...

More like Not Happy Feet - geez Clairie you always make running sound so appealing ;-)

R2B said...

Ouch hope you get well soon Clairie!

Shane said...

I thought I was being slack for having pretty much the week off aswell. But hey if Claire is doing it then it must be ok ;-)

The feet sound pretty nasty hope they heal up quickly. Are you doing the last run at BRRC this weekend?

Take care :-)

Tesso said...

Ha ha, all I could think of before we ran Saturday morn was how lucky you guys were in warm sunny Brissie! Trust me, when its 9 degrees and grey and overcast and you haven't got much sleep because the chattering of your own teeth kept you awake, well, hot and humid sounds so appealing.

Hope you can squeeze into your running shoes for Pat's tomorrow. If not then borrow hubby's.

TD said...

Hi Clairie, thanks for lending Tesso to us for a short while. And it was cool for her (and I felt it too to be honest).

I will be in Brissie for Christmas this year and might be able to catch up if I can get to a few of the assorted running events, including Pat's. Merry Christmas if I don't see you.

Unknown said...

I like the tumble in the surf bit! Have a happy Christmas, Clairie.

Ewen said...

I'm told it wasn't freezing. Just slightly less than warm, that's all.

Look after yourself Clairie.