Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Joy of Running

Friday morning - another work day and the weekend is within reach but not quite here yet.
I woke up and began to worry already - what have I committed to? Running Mt Coot-Tha after two big hill sessions already this week???? Idiot.
Still there I was sitting in the carpark way too early - didn't want my fellow companion to turn up and not find me there!

Graham arrived and we took a few minutes to ensure we had the right equipment on (he had two pairs of gloves!!) and then we headed off. An easy pace, it was very dark and we adjusted our eyes as we headed off down the road.
I do recall mentioning to my friend that we usually re-group up the top at the flat bit just after the first TV station. He said 'but we're running this together, we won't need to re-group" ha ha ha that was just before his hot little heels became two glow worms in the distance.
It was great to have a little fox to chase, we both worked hard going up and still looked out around us to see the lights of Brisbane coming on. Such a magical hour.
Graham totally missed the top and kept going, but I had enough breath left to call out to him and get him back.
After that we just ran, mostly in companionable silence and totally enjoyed the breaking in of the new day.
We had a decent pace going on (I was just trying to madly keep up with him!!) and I felt the joy of running the undulations across the top.
We made it around the corner and put on the pace to get to the Summit.
Just Bloody Beautiful!!!
We stopped for a few minutes to give the view the respect it deserved and watch Brisbane rise from its sleep. You could just tell it was going to be a great day.

Off we trotted to finish off the run and made it back to the carpark in good time - not withstanding a quick jibe at two walkers who were taking up the whole road (well not really but it was fun watching Graham tease his sister who was out walking).
It was Graham's first time. But I am sure he'll be back...and I hope I'm there to try to keep up with him!!!

No comments: