Tuesday, June 13, 2006

CONGO SPEED SESSION

I feel so alive!!!
Got out of bed this morning and arrived at Pats to find another big group assembling.

It was cold but as Tesso and I discussed - not too bad. We are getting ready to whinge about the cold wet windy month of August......but in the meantime June is a lovely time to be out there running. I just wish it was 7am or something!! Way too dark at 5:30am!

This mornings session was a warmup followed by strides in the gardens to the tune of two men beating their congo drums loud. Pat had arranged for them to be there and it was great. Really set the tempo going!

We then got stuck into it. Instead of doing a square (going fast, slow, fast, slow on each side) we had the square running track broken into halves and did hardcore fast followed by recovery. The congo drummers were on the fast bit and really lifted your rhythym.
I think we managed 6 complete rounds might have been more. I had a blast. It was a tough session and I worked hard. I pulled up with a massive stitch in the third round but the recovery section seemed to reduce this, only for it to get tight again in the sprint on the next round. It didn't stop me running but made me more aware of my breathing and gut. Even on the cooldown I felt sharp cramps from the stitch. Definitely seem to be just beneath my ribs/lung area. I don't feel anything now an hour later....weird.

My goal was to stay with Mark (iliketoast) and Tara for as long as I could. Tara wore down pretty fast, I think she was tired from her long fast run with Pat on Sunday still and Mark had run a 16km tempo run yesterday (thankfully....) so I managed my goal staying just in front of Tara and about 10m behind Mark (he whipped me on the last one though).
The last rep I ran hard but it wasn't my fastest. I was more aware of the crowd and was trying to sidestep some slower runners who were finishing and the faster ones who were panting down my neck. Tara went past me but I was happy to cruise to the finish line 30m away.
I felt great afterwards and have to admit - that was one of the best sessions I have been to in ages. Thumbs up Pat!!!

4 comments:

Tesso said...

Yay, what a great session!!!! Loved the drummers, you felt like you just had to run fast when you passed them. The ghetto blaster was good too, though I'm starting to get sick of "Can You Feel It". Then again, that makes you want to run fast too, to get away from it :-)

Nice work keeping Toasty so close. I was doing the same with Andy, though I learnt early on not to say "Go Andy" cos when I said that he would "go" and it made it even harder to try to catch him.

Wouldn't it be great to be able to start every day like that!

Shane said...

That sounds pretty cool, it is great how Pat always spices things up and suprises everyone at his sessions.

I wish I could get there, Stupid work :)

Oh how cool is the new toy, what a bargain.

Toasty said...

I have a good feeling about you reaching your goals. Prepare to be pushed (if that is any more possible than you do to yourself anyway).

Stu Mac said...

WOW, congo drums, I wonder if I could convince my coach to do the same....not likely

:-)