Decided against going to Pat's this morning as I felt like avoiding the hills and just doing a sprint fast session along Coro Drive.
Liz said she would meet me at the Regatta at 6am with the other group members but she wasn't there this morning and that was my first disappointment. We push each other harder than if we run by ourselves so I knew I would have to work hard to get moving out there today.
I started out well and did the first km in 4:55, planning to get progressively faster and finish the 8km with a sub 4:20km. However I went from rap to crap in the second km and never recovered. My legs were either frozen or still asleep.
I think I felt so good after my session yesterday and how well I had ran all week that I jinxed myself because today was pure pain and dismay.
I was in the lead for the whole first km and finished LAST. Behind the 6min/km runners even!!! (remember this was supposed to be a speed session for me not a long run - I am not making fun of people who run at that pace..)
It was a shocker. I just got slower and slower and slower and finished doing a 5:23km at the end. My lower back was aching, my hip was sore and my legs were just useless to me. I felt like taking them off and walking away from them....but frustratedly realised I couldn't do that!
I didn't bother stretching or cooling down. The way I see it I spent the whole 8km cooling down. The muscles didn't deserve a stretch either....so suffer in your jocks calves and quads!
Anyhow so here I am moping away. To top it off the showers only had cold water AGAIN and I almost bolted across the road to Tesso's house in just my towel to jump into her shower. hee hee now that might have made me run a bit faster!!!
6 comments:
You have those day!!! Have a good whinge and then a good run tommorow and you will feel better!!
Dont worry Clairie, on Wednesday I did my short mid-week run at a much slower pace than my run at the weekend (almost three times the distance).. I wanted to go faster, I just couldnt. It happens, I know you'll be a speed demon come Tuesday TT though.
Clairie Clairie Clairie, you have just had three tough days in a row - speed on Tuesday, a fast long run Wednesday, and hill reps Thursday. Surely you weren't supposed to have a fast sprint today!
What's that quote ... in the end, you are only as good as your recovery, regardless of how hard you train
I won't go too mad at you about that. But I will go mad at you because I after Pat's I went to have coffee with you and you'd left and I had to talk to the smelly boys.
ha - you brissy girls are getting soft. We wouldn't have even bothered with the towel
Sounds for sure that your brilliant hill session on Thursday was still in the legs for Friday, that's why people have rest/recovery days ;-)
I reckon running in the towel over 100m a few times will help the leg speed!
Stop your bloody whingin' Clairie!
Post a Comment