Saturday, June 10, 2006

Running looong - 33km (well 32.8 to be precise)

Met up with ilike toast , Lizzle and Scotty at 5:30am for a long run. We decided we all wanted to do the riverloop (approx 35km) but they were keen to round it up to 36km and I was keen to round it down to 16km!!!

Off we set around St Lucia and Liz was very tired and sore from a big week. Nothing unusual about that only this time everytime she mentioned one of her sore muscles the rest of us agreed that our calves, glutes, hammies etc were also very tight. It was hilarious. She had contagious moaning disease and within the first 10km we were all seriously ill from it and moaned the whole way home.

Actually it was a lovely run - overcast with drizzling rain that kept us cool and allowed us to work hard. We maintained a pace of 5:12 min/km for the run despite it feeling much faster. I am so out of whack with my pacing. Not that I was ever an expert but at least I had a rough idea. I could have sworn we were running at 4:40 pace today at least! We did have a bit of a push in the middle and did a 4min km - just one. Raced to get to BP for the drink break and we all took off!!!

I feel great now, after my mountain of pancakes and coffee and a hot shower. Now I just need a half hour snooze and I will be on top of the world.

Running is just bloody marvellous. Even throughout my whinging I was having a good time today and now feel all the better for having done the run. Thanks to all my running buddies for taking turns in running with me and keeping up the chatter :)

6 comments:

Tesso said...

I think Clairie is back!!!!

Great run this morning, I can't wait to start doing those river loops with you again. Must be great to know you are back to pre Canberra form.

If you can do what you did today in the time you did it the GC Half will be a (fast) walk in the park.

Toasty said...

We had to take turns just to keep up!

You ran really well, thanks for hanging around at the end, you left just as Katy came back.

Katie said...

Hey Clairie!!! Great running :-) We will have to catch up after the half in gold Coast!! What is your next big goal.... come to Sydney and do the marathon!!

Wobbly man said...

Wow Clairie! A great run followed by pancakes, coffee and a shower. Sounds bloody great to me!

Chelle said...

Sounds like you had a fantastic run out there this morning, seems that your Darwin Elite status really is happening :)
You're going to be on fire at the GC, I wont be there to see you finish but I'm looking forward to hearing exactly how fast you went already.

PS: thank you for the nice comment on my blog :)

Shane said...

Mmmmmm pancakes Im glad I didn't read your post this morning I would have been devouring those myself however with no long run to burn it off.

Your running mojo is back for sure, cant wait to read about your sub 93 at GC :)