Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Ready for Speedwork...

Well I thought I was ready for speed work, that was until we headed out this morning and had a 1min/1min, 30sec/30sec and 15sec/15sec workout to do.

Was feeling good on the first two sets, didn't push the envelope and I physically felt I was holding back but I thought I best do this to enable me to perform more consistently. However the third one was hard. Then Anna Bligh - our local member - was running with us and pulled up so I went to make sure she was okay (it was her first time at Pat's). She was okay just recovering from flu and not used to speedwork. So I missed a 1min/1min rep and then fell way back.

Tried to catch up and had almost done this when we got back to the start. Then just Pat yelled out 'last one'. I pushed myself really hard because
a. that's what I was there for and
b. stopping to check on Anna had given me a not wanted but much needed rest
c. I wanted to close the gap between Tesso and I after falling so far behind!!!!

Then I heard Pat say 'all the way to the end after we turned around and I groaned (loudly I think).
Sure enough as fate would have it - I was running pretty fast and picking of the people I had just managed to pass on the way out - when Pat was behind me yelling "don't let me catch you clairie!" So I went harder and he yelled "thats great keep it going" which made me feel good and push a bit more. Man I went harder than I ever had and got to the end in very good time.

Damn it though I was almost vomiting and my legs were wobbly and throbbing - I kid you not.

I almost collapsed when Pat said 'grab your gear lets do one more on the way home'.... I had nothing in the tank. I was so dejected. I had tried so so hard and done well but had no inclination or energy to do one more.

Then Jan came up. She smiled at me and said 'lets do this'. So I took off with her. She is fast and along the way dropped her jumper so I got in front a slight edge and told myself - 'just keep in front and finish it off'.

Well I did and I am really happy with myself but I never want to feel so dejected again like I did after that last effort. I know Pat throws in these things all the time so I normally keep SOMETHING in reserve.... but not today with him chasing me. I guess it's runs like this that will see me improve. Damn not looking forward to the next one then :)

5 comments:

Tesso said...

Clairie, I wondered what happened to you on that third set.

Ha, I think we all fell for that "last one" with Pat. Think we'd know better by now! My quads were really starting to hurt on the first "last one" so the real last one was a killer.

Its exciting to have Anna Bligh, our new Deputy Premier of QLD, in the group. It was so very thoughtful of you to drop back and check up on her. I did the warm-down run with her and she was pretty happy with the session.

miners said...

Congrats Clairie - it obviously took a major effort to finish that session. you should feel proud of yourself.

... and what doesn't kill us, only makes us ...

Stu Mac said...

Excellent stuff Clairie!

Anonymous said...

So you teach "School of Pain" but it looks like you are doing your masters at "University of Pain"!

Sounds like a good hard hitout! Well Done!

CJ said...

I can relate to that feeling of wanting to throw up and legs feeling wobbly and throbbing! Its hard work but it must make us better runners?!