What a treat. I got to spend the whole day with Tesso!!
We arrived just before 5.30am to catch the bus from New Farm to the Bridge. It was a great ride out there and seemed to take no time at all. Before we knew it we were up the front of the line surrounded by so many of our running pals. It was great to be amongst the fast people because you could just feel their energy.
Just before the gun went off we had a game of throwing our clothes into the trees to see who could get the highest. Tess didn't want to swing her bag in case we hit someone so we just handed it to a man, who handed it to a man, who handed it to a man.....in fact it probably made it's way all the way to the back of the line!!
Soon enough we were off and it was a struggle for me to get to the top of the bridge. I knew then that it was going to be a hard day at the office - normally I don't even notice the climb up.
At 2km I approached Tesso who was just up in front and mentioned for her to push on as I was going to stop at the loo. I figured I wasn't capable of going very fast so I may as well be comfortable. She said she wanted to stop too so we both had a quick detour and got back on track laughing about it.
At the 5km mark I saw the 60min pacer way up in front. In fact he was running towards me!! Obviously he had gone out way too fast and had to run back to get his team! Shocking job of pacing if you ask me.
I was breathing hard at the 6km mark and from them on was finding it hard going. My legs were going around by habit and my nose was running like a tap but I was still enjoying myself.
Tess was talking to me and everyone around us - running up then back, doing circles and running some more - just to keep me company. I couldn't even talk so she had to ask me a question and then answer it for me!! hee hee
At 9km I knew I was going to finish and I think (if I had bothered with splits) that I got a bit faster here. Tess had gone on ahead and I was trying to close the gap between us so she would not have to wait for me at the finish.
I got faster and she slowed down for me so we caught up and ran the last 1.5km to the finish. I was so glad to finish - my breathing sounded like RITH's and my heart was racing like a heart attack. Tess was on her knees and untying my chip for me before I knew what was happening. She said "I don't want you fainting again". That girl is just a true friend and I am so glad she ran with me.
The rest of the day was quite boring really - we hung around waiting to win the car. Tess knew the band playing so we got up the front and made ourselves comfortable. It was great being groupies for a Jazz band - they got a giggle out of us two being silly :)
3 comments:
"It was great being groupies for a Jazz band - they got a giggle out of us two being silly"
We're gonna need some photos of that I think.
A treat - I was thinking the same thing! I can honestly say I haven't enjoyed a run so much in ages. I can't believe I was in two minds about doing this race. After Sunday it will be close to the top of my 'must do' list.
I really was fun being able to run with you in a race. It doesn't happen to often these days, so I had to seize the opportunity! Hope our finish line pic turns out.
If I had have gone full bore I would have only been a minute or so faster. Minute, schminute, who cares. Especially considering the hours we wasted in the vain hope of winning the car. Then again, sitting on the grass soaking up the winter sun, listening to some cool jazz, acting like groupies .... maybe the hours weren't wasted :-)
Soooooo good to see you Clairie. Thanks for the jump start.
Post a Comment