Got out of bed and jumped into the car - was running late before I even woke up!
Got there just in time to the base of Mount Cootha where everyone was waiting.
We headed out for our warm up and I commented about how mild this winter has been. Then - I kid you not - as soon as I had finished saying that we turned the corner at Slaughter Hill falls and the cold air coming from there was like the ice wind in Antartica - it was freezing. We all groaned and moaned about leaving our gloves behind and not being prepared for this type of cold weather rant rant rant.
Before long we were warmed up and ready to head up the mountain. I was not very motivated but I was happy to be there and to have gotten out of bed. I was keen to run as well as I could - I just had no expectations for doing very well.
Which was just as well - Liz and I got overtaken by everyone and were the last of the runners. I called out to everyone that we were 'the sweepers' so they would think it was purposeful us staying behind. Then Liz starting calling out 'frozen snake' (which in a hill run means a twig - but it makes us laugh). So there were were laughing and carrying on. All the while Liz is carrying her Aussie Flag - she became an Australian officially last night and Tess and I were there at the ceremony. It was bloody fantastic! I can really call her my cobber mate now!
On one of the last reps we do we were on our recovery - which is a walk down hill, waiting for the horn to beep for us to turn and then race uphill. The horn never beeped and we were getting further and further from the top. I suggested we just turn and run but they all said Coach was giving us more recovery because C2S and Noosa were coming up. Yeah right.....after 8mins he came looking for us in the car and laughed at us walking still. We just hadn't heard him.
So I turned and ran and said to liz "I am just going to keep on going and not stop" I was pretty pissed at the long recovery so instead of 2-3 more runs to get to the top with recoveries in between I did one - no stopping all the way. I was slower but I think it gave me more strength as I was maintaining form even though I was very weary.
Liz came up beside me eventually and said she had to get to the top - her first run as an Aussie. So off we went and surged on ahead.
We made it.
The run down was lonely - eveyone else had gone ahead already as they had turned before the top - but we didn't mind.
I wish I had my skins on today - I am really feeling the effects of running now.....
3 comments:
You silly bloody galahs!
Cold in Brisvegas?!?!?!
Gloves......
As if ;)
Nice photo of you and Tesso in the Sunday Mail this morning.
Post a Comment