Friday, August 11, 2006

Freaky Friday

Running at the Regatta this morning but as Tesso was in Sydney and Liz was resting I decided on an early start at 5.30am.

I did a warm up jog for the first 2km at around 5.10pace then got faster for the next 2km. I stopped just past the 4km mark at a bench and stretched for a bit. Then I ran 100m up the path and got the garmin ready. I really wanted to see if I could run 4:23min/km pace for the 4km back to the start. It was an accurate course and not very crowded this morning so I just had to focus on my legs and breathing.

I set the Garmin to virtual trainer and started running. As I crossed the green line I hit start (to ensure I lost no time warming up).
At 1km I looked at the Garmin and it said 50m..damn I had to get faster - so I sped up. At 2km it said 80m..I was getting slower so I put the foot down. I was really starting to struggle in the head thinking I was only halfway - it was tough.
At 3km it said 152m so I gave it all I had and crossed the line too disgusted with myself to look. I pressed stop but was so dizzy and hard of breathing that I walked around a bit before resetting the garmin.

Then I had a look....

Holy shit - I had ran 4:08's. Apparently the 50m, 80m etc was IN FRONT of the virtual runner - not the distance behind. Doh! I am glad though as it made me push myself harder than I would have done otherwise.

Totally exhausted and totally happy with that. Amazed at myself because I did not think I had that in me this morning! Woo hoo!

No comments: