But if I was getting paid for it they would have sacked me!
Tesso and I arrived at the Regatta at 6am for our wed Run. Tess had just finished a quick 7km in the dark and I had just finished a quick 7hrs of sleep.
They announced the Regatta Runners were doing a Time Trial today of 3km. I wasn't fussed overly much. Tess and I had planned to run with them on the warm up and keep running, turning around at the 5km mark to cover off 10km easy running (17km for Tess).
At the finish of the warm up though Chris talked us into Pacing the back group for the time trial. We had done the warmup kms in reasonable pace of just under 5min kms so I was ready to do anything that would be at a slower pace than that. Chris assured us that a 6min pace was required and I grinned and accepted the challenge once Tess had given her approval.
Amy wanted to do the trial but didn't have a watch so as I was running with Tess at the back I gave her my watch.
Headed out after all the faster runners had taken off and paced the guys through to the first km. Got there in 5mins. Oh exciting lets keep this pace, went through to 1.5km in 7.5mins. Still on pace for 5min/km. This is where it all got exciting. Due to the bikes and walkers on the path I moved in front so I could get to the left, Tess stayed with the runners.
Chris then levelled with me and we chatted till we saw the finish. Then just up ahead I saw a man with a pram. No! Can't have a pram beat me. So forgetting my charges I flew off and finished 2sec in front of him in 14.32.
Tess brought her entourage over the line in sub 15 and they were all so excited and chuffed. My first experience of pacing others (without a watch too) it was fun and rewarding to see their achievement and also to be able to have enough puff to be encouraging along the way whilst knowing you could do it easily.
Nonetheless I'm sure it doesn't count for a slow recovery jog. Damnit!
Well we did do 2.5km warmdown at slowish pace. The first time we went over 5min pace all day! Tesso what are you doing to me?
No comments:
Post a Comment