Saturday, April 09, 2005

CANBERRA 10KM PACE RACE

Well Saturday finally came. I actually got a good night sleep the night before so was well rested. Unfortunately my nerves still had me on end right from the moment I jumped out of bed.
I was able to eat a bowl of porridge - dad's special - and some OJ. That was it until after the race at 4pm. I should have forced myself to eat at lunch but I honestly don't think it would have done me any good.

Turned up to the Telopea Hall at 1pm. Meet up with Mister G and then just hung around at Pygmy Palace - where Tesso and other CRs were all staying. At 2pm the hall opened and we were able to go over and get Allan and G signed up. I also picked up my Canberra Marathon shirt. Some nasty bugger saw it and told me I wasn't allowed to wear it if I hadn't actually done the Marathon, but unfortunately they don't have shirts for the 10km!!

All too soon it was time to toe the line. Spud was with Mister G and I and was going to run with us around the 5 loop course in approx 45min. Just before the gun went off the cheers and calls from the crowd were really going off. I felt huge support. I also saw Mum and Dad had made it down. Had no idea where Allan was but I knew he would do well. He always does.

The race began and I felt shocking from the first 50m. It wasn't supposed to be like this!!! In my dreams I was hurtling around the road with ease, smiling and sweating but keeping pace. In reality I was hurting around the roads, trying to keep my stomach from heaving and all the while breathing really heavily. I couldn't get comfortable. The first km we did in 4:05. Too fast but it was still my best. After that I was ready to quit. G and Spud were really good, kept the spirits up and were dragging me along as best they could. I think I felt so bad at halfway when G said we weren't going to make the 45min. They were much faster runners than I and were only doing this to help me. I was letting the team down. It was a real bad moment.

Evertime we passed the finish line there was a big crowd of supporters. Some I knew most I didnt (until after the race!!). The support was mainly for coolrunners and it was really encouraging to have them cheer you on and I could feel the pressure to perform. Just after passing the crowd was the water station. I didn't get anything on the first lap and on the second G said "what do you want more, water or a PB?" so went without again. Big mistake. On the last loop when I did actually get water I couldnt drink it and didn't want to loose more pace - I had slowed so much already. Damn it was hot!
I threw the water at my face and opened my mouth and hoped some would go in. It did - along with air. Within 50m I was pulling over to throw up. It was here that G said "if you can keep it in until the end I'd be proud". So off I went again. This was the worst part. Knowing the end was near but you had nothing left in the tank to crank it up. G kept saying " just pass that one in front" and eventually we would, but then they would catch us and so on. I was now praying for the race to end so I could take my hat off. It was boiling. Never felt this bad in sunny Brisbane...

I turned the corner and could not manage another step. Then I looked up and saw the finish line. This was it. I couldn't let all those supporters down. My folks were watching and I wanted them to feel proud. So I did a Lance Armstrong, pushed all my breathe out and ran for it. It felt good to be running fast. I wish I had burst sooner. Yet as soon as I crossed the line I had to stop. I remember sitting in the medical tent but not how I got there. I looked up and saw my dad watching me be sick. He looked really worried so I stood up and went over and hugged him. The race was over.The pressure in my stomach was gone.

The next few hours past in a blur. I caught up with Tesso who was so happy for me. I had finished in 46:59 - a PB. Not by much but still a PB. She was so very infectious and here I was feeling terrible about it all. Made me cry. so I had a weep and then was overwhelmed with all the CR's coming up to say hello. Ray James gave me a big hug. A few minutes later Allan crossed the line and was over to see how I had ran.

After a shower and change of clothes it was off to dinner and a great evening with a nice bottle of wine and some friends. Ended all too soon as everyone was getting up early to work (me) or run the marathon (everyone else).

What a relief that today was finally over.

No comments: