What a great day today.
After a big night out last night (well I certainly wasn't driving home..) with fellow CRs I was worried I would sleep past the alarm. I didn't. But waking up was hard.
Headed out early to set up the Baggage area. Got there just in time to bring the nursing skills into play. A fellow runner and friend had managed to slice open his whole lower leg by climbing over a sharp roadworks sign on his way into the marathon.
We had to stop the blood flow (it was pretty extreme) and call an ambulance. He ended up with 18 stitches and a DNF on his record!!
The rest of the day seemed to go just the same way, but it was all fun.
Just after the marathon had started we realised the bus had left to take the special drinks to the aid stations. Unfortunately they had left one behind - for the 12km mark. As hubby had taken the car out to the turnaround point (he was the marshal there) I had to run the drinks over to Tess and her crew.
Got there just in time for the 2nd marathoner to come through. Stayed and cheered a bit then ran back to the baggage area in time for the 8km runners to be coming in thick and strong.
So great to see all the really good efforts put in by people I knew.
How great was it to see everyone cross the finish line and be able to cheer them on for the last few hundred metres.
Highlights of the day:
*Feeling useful to all the competitors
*running over the bridge behind Spot for 1km....felt like I was coming third for a while :)
*Asking the drunk to move so the runners on the finish line could have a clear run. He sat up, moved and clapped the runners in for the next hour.
*seeing an old guy's wife get him a chair and light a big cuban cigar after he crossed the finish line.
*witnessing all the PB's and the big grins
*Screaming out to Pat (200m from finish line) telling him to run faster, dig deep and all the other crap he tells me all the time. Felt very refreshing. Can't believe he was laughing and still running so damn fast!! The Nerve!
No comments:
Post a Comment