Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Speed Kills

First speed session in 12 weeks - though you wouldn't know it. It looked like I was still jogging but the whole of my insides knew I was running hard.

Jogged the 3km warm up - felt great and wanted to keep going. Then after a few strides did 6 x 500m with 1min rest. I did them all under 2min with the first being the easiest and the second last the hardest. The last one was good and I felt strong but fading - managed to do 1:53.

I knew I would have a lot of work ahead of me but after this morning now I realise just how HARD that work is going to be. *groan* I might have a stronger body but the legs just aren't ticking over fast enough and I forgot what it was like to have your chest burning inside during an effort. Don't you just love that feeling when you finish a hard run and someone comes up to talk and you can only just look at them and pant.... that was me this morning! Doing the panting I might add! :)

So good to be running with Tesso again. Though I only just managed to keep with her this morning - and she did a marathon just over a week ago and it 'taking it easy' - personally I think she got faster whilst I was away *more groans*

2 comments:

Matty said...

Onya Clairie!!!

The first hard speed session after a long break or even a fortnights absence is a real toughie. You need mental toughness and intestinal fortitude to start and complete it and you've got that in spades!!

Stay injury free!!

PM

Unknown said...

Great to know that you're back, Clairie.
I want to thank you & Tesso for your comments on my blgo after the GC marathon. I dodn't know until days later that you had fallen over in the marathon, Tess, and, as usual you didn't let on at the drinks session, but seemed to be busy looking after everyone else...only secial people are like that & that's you! Sorry I couldn't meet up again before you left the GC, but I couldn't move out of the apartment until Tuesday...what a mess I was! Hope we see each other at Canberra if not before than.