Was a great session. I worked hard to get to top gear. My HR was 172 during the recoveries - I never got to see what is was when I was hurtling along. But my average was 192 - which is higher than my max??
We had 5 x 1min efforts with 30sec recovery jog, then turn around and do 30/30 all the way back. For once Pat actually followed the times correctly. It was amusing because everyone was prepared for him to say "all the way home now" in the last minute but we got a rest just before the last 30sec effort. It was great and made us all go harder to get home.
I was just behind Robbie (15m) on the way out and gaining on him - I was doing well but as soon as we turned...well another story. My legs felt lactic and I was breathless. Pat stopped twice and asked me if I was okay. The first time I thought he was being nice. The second time I wiped my nose in case it was bleeding...I mean I was working hard here....of course I am not ok. But I didn't think I was attracting attention for any reason.
He spoke to me afterwards and suggested that I maybe low in iron. BINGO. That may be correct. With the new diet and the weights program I may be neglecting the iron food. I eat red meat once a week (ie a steak or stirfry) but I eat mince once a fortnight also, which I thought was plenty. I have been eating loads of fish and chicken. Spinach with every evening meal as well but Pat mentioned that even if you are taking sufficient Iron in your diet your body may not be absorbing it well due to training or other body issues. Hence you may need more than usual just to get the right amount absorbed.
I hope to get on top of it very quickly. Pat said the two main symptoms are:
* breathlessness when running (more so than usual)
* fatigue (at any time in the day - you may feel great when you run but tire easy later)
I have no upcoming races so I wont' suffer too much even if I was very low in iron but I don't want it to worsen and I have a 30km beach run on Sunday that I don't really want to feel dreadful all the way like I did on Sunday. So off to the chemist for some fluriovax or whatever it is called.
3 comments:
Just don't go running close to any big magnets Clairie ;-)
Sounds like a great speed session.
Better eat more red meat Clairie.
I'm another iron supplement girl here. I hate cooking red meat - hate the smell of it - so my consumption of red meat has been a little lacking in recent weeks....
Post a Comment