Sunday, January 14, 2007

I am a fuckwit, a wanker, a complete moron. You can join in at any time. I don't really care because I am a stupid stubborn woman who deserves the abuse of my fellow friends.

Over a week ago my friends told me to get my foot checked out. Over a week ago we suggested remedies and possible scenarios together as I ran about why my foot was sore. Over a week ago....I should have done something.

Saturday I ran 28.5km. Average pace was 5:20 but most of the mileage was a lot faster with 2km very slow or walking - changing the overall average on the garmin.

It was a tough run. Not to mention the fact that my foot slamming into the concrete on each step was agony.
I tried to run on the grass at every opportunity. Looking stupid I ran on the hills or grassy sidewalks, preferring them to the wide footpaths or over the bitumen. It was the only little relief I could afford myself at the time.

Now I am knocking my head on a brick wall...why not I stamped my foot on concrete for three hours despite it hurting. What is it about runners that makes us so single bloody minded that we have to finish a run, that we don't admit our own pain or that we try to minimise the extent of our pain or injuries????? Are we really that masochistic? Why on earth do we both to fool even ourselves?

Anyhow I guess I won't be running for a couple of weeks as I suspect I have a stress fracture. Appointment with the foot doctor is the first thing on the agenda this week. Until then - its drowning for me (thats my style of swimmning for all those fishes out there).
Guess I can get out the bike thing as well *oh joy*...sorry Miners but some of us just arent' built to ride two wheels without motors :)

21 comments:

speedygeoff said...

According to 's blog it is three months and a day to the big one in Canberra. You can still do it!

speedygeoff said...

Oops Clairie, that last comment did not come out at all like the preview showed!!! You can delete these two comments if you wish. I can't. Good old blogger!

Superflake said...

No, not the stressie. Hope it isn't and is just a little tendon strain.

Anonymous said...

Let me know what the doctor says - hope it's all good.

I could lend you my old bike......

Tesso said...

I'm not saying a word ....

Tesso said...

Yes I am.

I hope like hell it is 'nothing'. Well, it has to be something I guess, I hope it is nothing serious. Surely if it was a stressie there is no way you could've run over 28k on Saturday. Or have done that great run on Wednesday.

What's going on with our girls??? Katy - broken hip, me - SIL dysfunction, Lizzle - blisters on blisters on blisters. Now you. I think the boys are sabotaging us because we were all getting too fast.

Stephen Lacey said...

Clairie, don't jump to too many conclusions before you have it checked out properly. It may be just a hot spot that will come good soon enough. But you are dead right (I know only too well) about the stubborn determination to finish a run despite signs that all is not well. I don't know where it comes from either, but it's there!
Here is something that might cheer you up just a little:

Toasty said...

I hope you are wrong. I had foot pain (last year) that I thought was a stress fracture. Went to the Physio and he thought it might be one too. So I ignored him and kept running. In the end my calf tore. I could have avoided it with treatment and exercises to release the tight muscles that kept pulling and pulling. I have pain in my other foot and have learnt to get it worked out as I continue to train. I hope you can tell me it isn't what you think it is. Let us know soon, I'm worried.

Samurai Running said...

Just slow down there a bit Clairie
you know there is a "fine line" between being a fuckwit, a wanker, a complete moron and being strong, cool and clever.

We just just hope that fine line isn't a stress fracture.

Let us know what's going on as soon as you can.

Lulu said...

I'm keeping everything crossed that it is just something minor. I'll send some positive vibes up the coast asap.

2P said...

Nothin wrong with your other foot - get out there and run :-)

Seriously though - hope it is just a bruise or some such - look forward to hearing a positive prognosis.

Jen said...

Take a deep breathe Clairie & don't jump to conclusions. Just get into see the dr as soon as you can. My fingers are crossed that it's not so bad news :-)

Shane said...

Im hoping like everyone else that it is not that serious. I know it's hard not to but don't get too negative until you find out exactly what it is.

I agree with Tesso, although I have never had one, stress fractures generally get worse the more you do on them. I dont think you would have been able to run 28k if it was a SF.

Look forward to hearing the all clear "just a little inflammation" report.

Take Care.

Ewen said...

I have my fingers crossed that it's not a stress fracture Clairie. If it is, do the right thing and you can still make it to Canberra.

I can recommend water running with a floatation belt in the deep end of the pool if you can't run.

Rob said...

NOOOOOOOOOO! Clairie please don't let it be a stressie. If it is, I know what the FD will say and I don't think you would like it.

I've got my heart set on you beating me in Canberra....I training hard so I won't be an easybeat.

miners said...

oo-er. not the greatest of news - although I was enjoying your first paragraph immensely :) Hope it's nothing too serious - and don't feel stupid about running on the grass verges of footpaths. Myself and my other similarly heavy-set mates do it quite a lot!

p.s. don't worry - they haven't made a cyclist out of me yet either

Mat said...

I too very much hope for you that its not anything serious. Hopefully your as bad at self diagnosis as I am, and you'll find out its not what you imagine.

Please do let us all know when you can :-). Chin up.

Robert Song said...

Lets hope it is not as serious as you think. Was looking forward to another race together in Canberra.

I wonder if Eddie has his heart set on me beating him as well ???

TD said...

Runners being runners, we can't help ourselves at times. That's what makes us runners I think and I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. And I think those little tags you gave yourself could apply to most of us from time to time. Fingers crossed for you Clairie.

Stu Mac said...

I hope all is well and like Ewen suggested, the flotation belt in the pool is a great way to keep running, but it is a little slower...

28km on the w/e, a big run, well done!

the_en4cer said...

Fingers crossed its nothing too serious. Like Lulu I'll send some positive vibes your way except mine will be sent down the coast.