Thanks for all your commments guys, it is great to read them and get your educated (and hilarious) feedback!!!
Most of you will know that I am trying to follow the CSIRO diet at the moment. It is much lower in carbs than what I am used to, so this morning was interesting.
Tuesday night I would usually have some pasta of some sort before the mid week run.
Last night was grilled salmon and salad. And I was home early enough so we ate at 6.30pm.
This morning I woke up feeling good but a bit depeleted of energy - so I ate a banana. I don't normally eat before my runs so it was hard to get down.
I did a few km on my own before joining Mark and Robbie at 5.30am and we headed out to New Farm from the Regatta. Not sure how many km it is (though Tess will let me know for sure)...we turned around at the Bowls Club and came home.
Including the first few km I did Garmin read 22.5km but I suspect it was slightly more as I always lose the garmin when going under the freeway/gardens so not exactly sure.
Distance: 22.5km
Average Pace: 5:00min/km
I was so thankful to the banana. I felt great on the way home and it was disgustingly hot out there. Just when I thought I would die I got a surge and was able to run home quite comfortably. The average pace was around 5:07min/km but we did a few really fast kms so that brought the whole average down for the run, even including my first few km that would have been around 5:35min pace!!
I just can't get over how great I am feeling. I don't know if it is the diet, or the training break I had (sore foot) or simply the fact that I am increasing the training load. Either way it is helping me get through what would otherwise be some onerous runs in disgustingly hot/humid conditions. Maybe it is just all the support I am getting from you bloggers out there............. ;)...*waves*
13 comments:
Ooh, I get first comment!
All Hail the Banana!
Great run Clairie! It just sounds like the planets are coming into alignment for you. Now the real challenge is how to hold it like this right through to Canberra.
Nice work on the long run! Your sure are doing well at the moment. Keep it up :-).
CSIRO is an eating plan Clairie and it works. Stay with it and you will feel better, lighter and your all round running should improve. The feeling you have at the moment is probably a combination of all the things you have mentioned and in my opinion the eating plan is a major factor.
I generally follow it and the receipes - if I am not following it strictly I do eat less carbs then I did in the past and I know it has no adverse affect on my running.
There is a book that may interest you along the lines of the CSIRO called Slow Burn - it maybe difficult to get in Australia I will find an Amazon link. If you are interested in eating and energy for running then this book is a fascinating read and well worth the effort to get a copy.
I will post a link later.
Keep up the solid training and I am looking forward to seeing that wonderful smile as you come down the finishing straight at Canberra with enough to wave, jump, scream and cruise to under 3.20.
The Amazon link - I have no idea how to make it an active link - cut and paste into a browser - I am sure you know more than me about all things IT
http://www.amazon.com/Slow-Burn-Faster-Exercising-Slower/dp/0062736744
Woohoo - what a run! Now if that doesn't give you confidence for Canberra (and Caboolture) nothing will.
Sounds like you are on a roll. But not a bread roll, too many carbs :-) You might be on to something with the banananananana thing tho. Sure helped me on my long run Sunday.
Re the distance, lets remember to check the signs on the floating walkway tomorrow.
maybe you're feeling so good because you were (apparently) modelling the new CR tri-singlet? What's it look like? Any piccies of it on?
oh yeah, forgot to mention. A banana before my runs/rides is almost a given. I've been told it's not the best to have because it takes so long (relatively) to digest. However, I've never had problems with them :)
Glad to hear you are feeliing so great Clairie.
Nive run for a midweek. Glad you are back to normal condition.
Nah, it's got nothin' to do with us. It's all you.
(*waves back)
It's wonderful to see that you have a spring back in your step again Clairie :-) Onwards & upwards to Canberra !!!
A friend of mine has been following the CSIRO diet this year and she has mentioned lack of energy a few times, she isn't really a distance runner but she has struggled a few times whilst running 40 min with me. She is a Clare too, but doesn't have the i's....
:-)
Stu
Geez, that's faster than my mid week runs! Another great Canbera run coming up I'm sure, keep it up Clairie.
Post a Comment