Coach Chris said to run 15km in a controlled 4:45 min/km pace this morning.
I roped in Tara and iliketoast for the ride and we strapped on our rocket boots. Started the morning with a 1km run to warm up and then Mark got the whip cracking. I had garmin on virtual partner to tell me how I was doing but I should have ignored it - I totally lost track of the satellites and it took forever to get them again when I resurfaced from under the bridge. Hence it was saying I was too slow, so I sped up and left Mark & Tara behind. Then they went in front as I attempted to slow down and get back on pace....aaarrrrgggh. I am hopeless at this.
I was really pushing it and finding the pace tough going. It is a fairly hard run. We all walked the hill going up to the Storey Bridge to conserve energy - and my calves are still sore from the beach.
Going over the bridge for the first time I felt I was going to make this. I was really warmed up by now and ready to pump some action.
Going past the ship Inn and not stopping nearly killed me. It was good to do something different today but at the time I cried. Not nearly as much as when we went over Queen Victoria bridge - man that was tough. Exhausted and trying to keep up the pace running uphill is really hard. I slowed a little in the next km and did a 4:48, then we increased the tempo and did the last two km in 4:44 and 4:31. I would never have believed I could finish off like that.
The crazy thing is - I have to run that pace for the whole marathon!!!! So much training ahead of me still...
Run results: 15km in 1:07:00
Total run: 1:12:20 (1km at 5:20 to warm up)
15 comments:
Clairie, you did have your TT yesterday so that might explain why today was a little tough???
Stu was here...
How fun was that! Lets do it again tomorrow?
Firstly, it never crossed my mind that your comments when running on saturday where inappropriate. You weren't to know what happened and by no means did I take one little bit of offence to it. Don't worry about it :-)
To answer our question, he died of an angina attack which was confirmed a few days ago.
Now to the good topics, todays session was very solid and with no mention of your foot suggest to me that you will be setting the pace on Saturday.
Re your diet challenge, didn't I see a comment on Scotts blog. Giving advice to the opposition smells like sabotage to me ;-) Good luck
Clairie, all I can say is that you must be in great touch if you had a finish like that and yet you think you are overweight. You are going to be in absolutely awesome form for Canberra if you do lose those few extra kilo's.
I've got a FXK's (few extra kilos) to deal with too, a legacy of my very nice Christmas in Brissie.
Should we add beaches and bridges to the marathon to make you feel at home?
You did 15k today at your goal pace. That leaves 27k.
So all you need to do is add 3k a week to your run at that pace and in 9 weeks you will have done it. Then you can taper :-)
Sounds like a fast ride. You did well to stick with it.
Regarding the speeding up and slowing down due to loss of satellites, three words: heart + rate + monitor.
Sounds like a top run. Actually, almost exactly what I did tonight, though at a slightly different pace, but it was 15 km at about marathon pace.
I'm looking forward to finding out what I owe for these three good weeks. And they started today, by the way, not tomorrow. But thanks all the same. It's nice to have a running fairy on board.
It is scary when we start to comprehend the efort that is going to be required to achive our marathon goals. However, Clairie, you are achiving what is required of you in your training so expect the best.
BTW..Susan Hobson's program is for those who are aiming for between 3:00 and 3:30. I haven't said where in that range I am aiming for...hehehe ;-)
You will find when it comes to the marathon that you will run that pace. Last year I thought that I could never maintain the pace that I was aiming for, for 42.2km, but during the marathon I actually ran faster. But boy, that run sounded like it was hard! Obviously the blisters on the feet aren't a problem!
now why is this sounding familiar? Struggling to get that exact pace right, and going on a non-xxx diet - I think it was red wine last year wasn't it? ;) And from what I recall, this did you wonders for your mara debut of 3:2x?
Great to see that Canberra is looking serious again saint claire :)
Clairie, Clairie, Clairie
MIL = Mother In Law
See ya Saturday :-)
That is a seriously fast 15k training run Clairie - well done.
67 is a good time for 15k Clairie.
By the way, I've got two bob on Scott losing the weight first :)
Dude, I'm so glad it's not just me that cries at really fast runs! *hugs*
Best of luck with the diet!
Post a Comment