Thursday, March 10, 2005

31 SLEEPS TO GO....

31 sleeps to Canberra.

I should have remembered that this morning when I was running.

Did an easy warm up with Pat's group. The B team have been leaving a few mins early so we don't have to warm up at 3min/km pace with Pat and the A Team.

Today's session was 2 x 5min efforts and then 10mins on hills. The 5mins were 2.5 out then turn around and come home. Pat said this is the best speed session you can do to help you learn how to pace. The idea for pacing is to get back where you started bang on 5min. I was very happy with today, I did the first 5min hard, went out after Tess and kept her within a few metres, then turned around and just held on so she did not overtake me...phew made it. Felt good but with only 50sec rest I could not do that again. Nonetheless I made the goal to be consistent with going out and then back at the same effort. Before I used to go out easy and come home hard, then have time left on the watch or go further than the starting point.
Was really happy with today's session - even if Eddie did fly past me on the second one. Thought he was supposed to be recuperating????

The hills I felt really good on. Actually felt I could have kept going. The last one is always tough - all the way over the bridge to the starting point.

The worst bit about today was the warm down. Tess and I headed off and I was knackered already so the last thing I felt like was a few km run around Southbank. But I know it did the legs good to work out those muscles (YES they are there hiding somewhere :BIGGRIN: )

Tess is officially WATER STATION SARGENT for the Lest We Forget Marathon. How exciting. That water is going to taste damn good too!
I volunteered to pace the 1hr 30min group in the half marathon but got refused by the snooty race director. Apparently he thinks I wouldn't be the right person for the job. WTF? Okay so maybe having a half PB of 1:53 is not going to cut it. Maybe next year.
Gonna have to bribe him now to get a job on the finish line.....

2 comments:

Rob said...

Sounds like the Race director is taking the job pretty seriously.

Tesso said...

Yeah Clairie, in those out and backs I might have been a few meters ahead going out, but I was busting a gut and couldn't make up an inch coming back, you were flying!

I'm with you, that warmdown seemed tough. Guess its a sign we really did work hard in the session.

Hope you decide to run the Brisbane Half cos there's a big PB in there just waiting to get out.