Sunday, March 13, 2005

BRRC Half Marathon Championships

What a day and what a way to end the weekend.

After some discussion with Pat I was advised strongly to take it easy today and just do a training run. With my goal until Canberra being to just focus on my speed sessions and see how I can improve I was happy to listen to him for a change :)

Arrived early all alone. Didn't need the family cheering for me to take 2hrs to do a half marathon....lol
Got there in the dark just after 5am and they had nothing set up. Not long after things started moving and all of a sudden I was in the line to register and getting that buzz in my stomach (the good one not the one sending me off to the loo!!!).

I was keen to do this and have some fun. Tess turned up around 5:30am and was all geared up for a great race. We discussed the previous days 6 Foot results and the feedback we had received from various runners already. It was making us chomping at the bit to get out there.
I had planned to do 1:50, running easy but steady for the duration of the 21.1km. It was so relaxing knowing that I had no pressures on me - especially the pressure I exert on myself to put my training to work!
There were so many runners out there today it was very exciting. A blind runner with runner in tow, the pack of fit looking men from the Gold Coast (who took out first and second in the mens race)and a good sprinkle of coolrunners.

The gun went off and Tess was flying. I checked as she went past for rollerblades but didn't see anything (couldn't with all the smoke coming off her shoes...).
I had on the full contingent of packed fuel belt but it was really giving me the shits and after the first loop I threw it on the ground and put my bottles on one of the water tables. The race was a 1.1 followed by 4 loops of 5km. So each time I past the tables I grabbed one and took it with me then put it on the next table. It worked great.
My shins and legs felt terrible for the first loop so I got to 6.1km thinking I was facing a DNF. Not seriously but enough to make me think about why I felt so crap. I put it down to lack of sufficient warm up. After the first loop was out of the way I kept a record of my km splits. I was alternating (purposely) between 4:40 and 5:15 with each km. It was fun but I don't like being passed by other runners and was very sad indeed to have some go by me. I picked up the pace...just a little...to make sure a woman who went past me was reassured by my ability and hence, I overtook her.

Tess was really crusing and I can honestly say looked very comfortable. I was more jealous!

The 5km race started and I saw the pack of racing males go by. RITH was up there among the first three and I was willing him on to a good race. He told me later he did 17:44 (WOW!!!) and I was very proud even though I got the feeling he was slightly disappointed.

The last 10km were great and just whizzed by as I was in the zone and had lots of encouragement from everyone. Tess didn't let up the whole race and finished in a blistering 1:34 - a brillant PB smasher.
On the last loop I saw her go and knew it was in the bag.. shortly afterwards I saw Lizzle who was running with her music. Knowing she had the earphones on and hadn't heard me on the last lap I yelled out to her as we past each other in opposite directions "LOOKING GOOD LIZ, LAST LAP". Anyone that knows me knows I can be loud. Well this time I was screaming to ensure she would hear me across the street through her earphones. She told me later her batteries had died just before I yelled out and hence got such a fright when I yelled at her....she couldn't stop laughing for the next km.

I eventually came in to landing in 1:47:10. A 6min PB for me so I know I can easily do a sub 1:45 as I was not racing today. Though I admit the last km I really kicked in. I couldnt' help it - training run or not there was a finish line and I could not just walk across it. I feel so great now. The legs are liking what they did today and I am happy I still feel fresh enough for some big efforts in this weeks speed sessions.

Wonder if Tess is still on cloud nine with todays extreme performance. Fingers crossed this is going to be magnified at Canberra....so fess up Tess what does the calculator say now for your marathon time??????

8 comments:

Rob said...

Brilliant Clairie and Tess. Just brilliant. I'm so proud of you two.

Rob said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rob said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rob said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tesso said...

Awesome training run Clairie! Can't wait to see what you come up with when you actually race. I for one won't be surprised if you take at least another 6 minutes off next time.

How lucky are we to be able to train in Pat's group, there's no ways I'd be anywhere near the 1:34 mark if it wasn't for him and the rest of the crew there.

As Lizzle said yesterday I seem to be really pushing myself this year at those sessions. Figured out why - because you are there for me to race, chase or try to run away from!

Yeah, still on Cloud 9. See ya up here soon.

Hannah said...

Go, Clairie and Tess!!! fab times!!!

It was so lovely having the two of you cheering for me on the way round the loop yesterday... I'd have yelled back but was trying to breathe *grins* ah well, give me a few more sessions and I'll have my lungs back!

Anonymous said...

Awesome run girls!!

Congrats on PB Tesso!

Skiz

Superflake said...

Clarie and Tesso, great runs both of you. And the calculator says 3:18:15 for Tesso's Canberra Marathon. Yeehah.