One night down and 30 more to go....
Met up early with Tess and we headed for some grass to do a few laps for 30mins before the 6am start with the Regatta Runners.
Moved out in steady pace and headed for the turnaround. Stopped for some water on the way out and just coasted along with Tess. At the turnaround I moved ahead to talk to Geoff and we ran for a bit and after a few kms realised that we were both pulling each other faster along. With 1.5km to the finish Geoff eased back and told me to go ahead. I thought I would stay with him but then saw another body ahead of me so thought I would try to go past them.
Before I knew it the 1km mark was coming up. I made a snap decision to go hard and finish strong. I hurt along the way but it was that good hurt feel when you race hard. I was mentally preparing myself for Canberra and any other race telling myself "this is how you will feel (exhausted) at the end of a race with 1km to go, finish hard and strong in training and you will finish hard and strong in the race". I really needed this after my 10km at BRRC where if it were not for Krishna I don't think I would have finished hard.
I clocked the watch bang on 1km mark and turned the legs over. My shoulders I kept relaxed and I watched my breathing. My lungs were burning and my split personality was laughing at my vain attempts to improve...but I got to the end and hit the watch. 4.18. I was happy with that time after an hours run and yesterdays manic speed session. I was more happier with the way I felt - strong and fast. I really hope I can keep replicating that feeling and speed in my races.
No comments:
Post a Comment