Tuesday, March 15, 2005

SPEED SESSION - 25 MORE SLEEPS

Pretty sad that I am now counting down sleeps as opposed to weeks for my Canberra run. I get sick in the gut just thinking about it.

Pat had us do a warm up out to the 500m mark at West End & then turn around and go back to the 1km mark - approx 3km warmup I think.

At the turn around Drill Sargent Tess got everyone (with my help) into two long lines (about 18 women) and we then proceeded back to the 1km mark chanting "I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'VE BEEN TOLD...THE CARROLLETTES ARE MADE OF GOLD" The boys passed us (we'd had a head start) and were all highly amused at our antics. Certainly made us giggle.

After a few strides to get the legs pumping the fun was over and it was time to work. I felt great and had been psyching myself up for a hard session since last week.

We had 6 x 500m (with one min recovery) followed by 1 x 1km. The A team had 8 reps to do.
My aim was to stick with Tess but that proved a bit hard when she headed off with a few others to do a 50min recovery run instead of the speed session.
That left eddie!
Hard to miss in his fluro Brisbane Road Runners outfit (need to get me one of those). I took off and waited for the inevitable - for him to catch and pass me. I was happy that it was after 400m before he did this on the first lap. The remaining laps he caught me much earlier but I managed to stay 2 second behind him and we both headed off together after our rests so I was happy. I felt strong the whole way with the third rep the hardest.
I averaged around 1:58 for the reps. I only recorded one at 1:55 so the others must have been slower. The one km was slowish at 4:18 but I was happy with it nonetheless. I certainly am feeling fitter regardless of the times.

Just after we finished Tess, Ciaran and Dingo showed up and we ran back for the cool down. I'm thinking I need a cooldown from the cooldown.... it's certainly run at a good steady pace, but feels great for the legs.

Got my new running top from Pat. Will be wearing it at Canberra for the first time - well maybe the second as I'd better give it a go beforehand, you know make sure it fits :)

3 comments:

Aki said...

Lol, I can picture the warmup now!

Hannah said...

Love the singing :)

Rob said...

I sometimes think " I can't do this any more". Then I think about what I would be missing out on. We have such a good time.