Thursday, May 26, 2005

Sucker for Punishment

Back to the Gym this morning.

Felt great to do a 20min warmup - 5mins walking and 15mins running. Even turned the treadmill to 4min pace for the last 5 mins as I was running against my friend. My lungs were busting but the legs felt great to be striding.
I noticed that unlike road running, I had to keep my arms close to me to avoid banging on the machine, so I was really concious of my form the whole time.

Did an hour of weights - both resistance machine and free weights without making an ass of myself. Did that in the locker room when trying to fit all my gear in. Reminder to self - need not bring the kitchen sink to the Gym each time!

I feel really good now and am very happy I have got back into the strength training. Even when I am back running at 100% I hope to keep up a few visits each week.

Had to giggle to myself when I broadmindedly walked naked into the showers and saw the majority of women sneaking their towels and underwear in with them and throwing them over the shower wall to keep dry so they could quickly dress in the basics after showering. I felt like an absolute exhibitionist so the rule is - do whatever you are comfortable with and don't just be a black sheep.....Big thick towel tomorrow is my guess :)

5 comments:

Rob said...

Clairie! The Gym stories are as funny as the running stories. Truly! You should write a book. You are brilliant at putting your experiences into words.

Unknown said...

That's good news, Clairie, to be back at the gym, etc.

I don't know about you, but I love the gym; never a chore to get myself there for anything. Tomorrow I'll have a session like yours today, i.e. weight training etc which I try to do a couple of times a week as well as 2 spin classes; I always come away feeling 'great'! Like you also, I must shock others in the change rooms! Couldn't care less, never have; forget the big thick towel & just be yourself!

Rob said...

Yeah Clairie! Take LL's advice.

Hannah said...

I'm like you - I don't bother with the hide-the-rude-bits game either - it actually fascinates me (in a sort of sympathy-invoking way) to see how self conscious so many women are - and the worst ones seem to be the really gorgeous type!

I wouldn't bother with the towel and undies in the shower debacle - It's their issue, not yours!

miners said...

Thought I had been neglecting my Brissy girls for far too long. Nice sans towel story by the way.

Was wonderful to hear about the pentath reports (I was very jealous) - great to hear the exercise is coming along again too for you Miss Clairie.

Not long to GC - getting excited?