Well done to Tesso and many other fellow CR's/Banjo Players who competed in the Warwick Pentath this weekend.
This is a report of Tesso's weekend:
Well, started off well with the half marathon. Ran alongside Liz N till about the 11k mark or so then sped up just a bit. Its such a magnificent half marathon course, definitely my all time favourite. I just luv the point to point races, and out in the middle of nowhere but you get to run on bitumen!
Anyway, I felt great so just kept on cruisin.
About 20k I caught up to Ciaran who had caught up to Geoff. Geoff went out way fast, Nick only got him at 14k. Ciaran took off and I passed Geoff who was clearly dying, couldn't even run fast down hill by that stage! I was very happy to cross in 1:37.50.
Was feeling okay for the x-country after that (go those coffee beans). It wasn't as hard as last year, I was actually (almost) bounding over the obstacles. With about 300m to go I caught up to Glenno and Georgie! Of course Georgie took off so I passed Glenno to stir him up. It worked and he passed me and then flew past Georgie about 50m from the finish. Tee hee. Did 20.11 for the 4.6k.
The "I don't feel like running again" hit me before the 5k. Just got sick of eating protein bars and white English muffins. I was craving meat! Anyway, the 5k is pretty easy, a double loop with just one hill.
Liz N passed me in this one, I tried to give chase but the legs told me where to go. Though I did get some joy from passing someone with about 300m to go. Found out later he was in the 10 to 12 age group. Did this one in 21.58.
By this stage I was about 8 mins or so up on last year. I worked out that if I didn't die too much on the mountain I'd still come in under 3:30 and was rapt. Also thought that sub 3:25 was a possiblity, if I could just hang in there. We rang Cameron who had threatened to come out and nobble me if I was getting close to his 3:21 record. Figured if I had a really really good day Sunday I might get 3:23.
Felt so sick after dinner Sat night, the only reason I didn't chuck was I was too lazy to get out of bed to go to the bathroom. Only had about 2 hours sleep. I was shot Sunday morning. Oh well, I still thought I'd go sub 3:30, but only just. So the gun goes for the mountain run and I felt like I was running really really hard, but was only doing 4:45s. And this was on the flattish bit leading up to the rise. Also there was a lady in front who I thought might be in my cat, turned out she was in Lizzles. I got her anyway at 4k. The real climb starts about 5k and I kept looking at my watch and calculating my time if I did 7 min kms. Not good. Cameron turned up and was at the start of the hill climb. Anyway, pushed on and on. Caught Ciaran at about 7k I think, then Glenno about 500m later. Then caught Nick at about 8k. Ran beside him for maybe a km but once it flattened out just a bit he got away from me. I forgotten totally about feeling ill and in fact felt great. Just kept visualising Pat's hill sessions. That kept me going. Kept on glancing at the watch and I figured I might do 55mins (did 56.30 last time) but that number got smaller and smaller. Hmmm, 54 maybe. Woooo, 53 ...... perhaps. The last km seemed to go sooooo fast, as its flatter and there's a big downhill to finish. Crossed the line in 52.36!!!!!! Ha, Schultzy was marshalling at the finish, shoulda seen the look on his face when I came in. Tee hee!
So now I was up 12 minutes. I could walk the 1500 and still break 3:30! If I ran okay I'd break 3:20. Cameron wasn't impressed. His 3:21 had gone!!!! I wasn't at all nervous now lining up for this one. Lizzle and I had showered and changed (yet again) and that makes such a difference. Took off and MJ and Chelle were both off like scalded cats. It took me until 1k to get MJ. Got Glenno at the same time. Then with just 200m to go finally reeled Chelle in. Finished in 6.05! Woooooohooooooo!!!!!!!
By my calcs (could be dodgey) I ran 3:18.35. I am sooooooo happy, just feel so good. Why didn't I run that well in Canberra? Who cares! Ended up winning my category in all five and was 4th overall.
So many laughs on the weekend. Missed Clairie but we know she'll be there next year for sure, okay!
4 comments:
Yay Tesso! Yay Clairie :) Good going girls :)
Great effort Tesso. Sounds like a tough week-end but so satisfying when it all works out well.
Scalded cats indeed!! :)
Well done, you did SO well. It was so great to be cheering you on while you were running so strong on the Saturday, and I was overwhelmed by your response when I finished the 10km... obviously with finishing so quickly you'd had time to re-energise and bound across to the finish to see me!!
Great work, I hope you're very proud of yourself!
Post a Comment