Today was pain day. It was wonderful seeing Andy again - he has been on a ship over in the middle east serving his country and now he is back again after 6 months.
We warmed up by running out to New Farm then did some strides. Pat announced we would be doing 7x500m reps with 60sec rest. The elites had to do 9x 500m so I felt great that I was not elite today.
On the warm up my ribs had been hurting but I assumed that like last week the pain would subside. However after the second rep my lungs were hurting real bad and the pain was tearing through my right side.
When I went to the Doctors on Monday (I have two broken ribs) he said I could still run and gave me some drugs to help with the pain, though I don't like to take them.
On the fifth rep I was in so much pain I could not breath and my lungs could not get any air in them. I felt like I was being suffocated whilst being stabbed at the same time. It was really scary and even though I was getting air in my lungs it wasn't deep enough and I was starting to feel my body panic.
I walked off and thankfully Scotty came over to the rescue (Tess I think he looks after us well doesn't he.....) and Dan even said he was going to get his ute (promised I could lie in it and he would make an ambulance noise!!) but all I needed was air and the knife from my chest removed. After 10mins I calmed down and the body went into relax mode. I jogged/walked back home with Scotty and then went straight to the chemist and got my Dr. prescript filled.
Am now pain-free and will take one tablet (it is just Panadeine forte) before I go running. The ribs should heal within the next 4-5 weeks and running won't do any further damage but will cause pain.
Damn we runners are one tough breed (quote from Dr!!!!)
3 comments:
Broken ribs!! OMG, you are one tough chicky :-)
J.
Not nice, dude :( Hope you're feeling better after that! Being asthmatic, I can sort of relate to the omg-I-can't-breathe thing and it's such a horrible sensation.
Here's to little white pills and ribs healing quickly!
Broken ribs are not nice. I have done it on three different occasions. The first was playing mixed netball! I am amazed you can run. I was in agony for about three weeks with that first one. I recall it hurt if I took a deep breath and it especially hurt if I laughed or sneezed or tried to roll over in bed.
Take the pills and look after yourself. You don't want to aggravate it as it takes too long for it heal just normally.
Post a Comment