I felt great last night thought today would be the day - but alas not to be..
On the warm up with Tesso we saw Spot running past so grabbed him and did the warm up with him on the way out to the start line.
It was very warm and the sun was very hot and bright.
I had on my long skins and they felt really comfy - but very hot so I don't think I will wear them again in a race this summer, will keep them for afterwards.
After the warm up and few strides Pat got us started - without his usual fanfare it was off just like that.
I did the first km in 3:58, then 4:17 and a final 4:10. The legs were going ok and I remember as I was running thinking 'you can't go any faster' but shortly afterwards I backed off the pace a bit and really noticed it.
On the last km I slowed down in the first 500m, got overtaken and then sprinted for a sub 2min last 500m finish.
Overall I did 12:25. I was aiming for 12:10 and was in the condition to do that or better but it just didn't happen. No excuses I just need to do more speed work.
Will focus over the next 3 sessions and do that extra rep instead of slaking off.
It was really hot on the cool down and I was glad I took my water out there with me though next time I think I will freeze it so it is nice and cold. Hot water is gross when you are hot inside too!!
I had a friend come up to me afterwards and question why I want to run long. They suggested that I run short distances really well (ie 100-200m). Yes I can run these distances with really fast people and keep up. At little Aths years ago I even won a few. But how boring....I want to run long and I am not aiming to win, just enjoy and get the most out of the challenge.
Todays failure in the 3km TT, makes me more determined to try to do well in the 5km at BRRC soon. My a goal is Sub 22:00. My b goal is 21:40.
2 comments:
no, no, no - never a failure! Anything that doesn't kill us ... blah, blah. You learn from every run C - and you showed that it your last couple of paragraphs anyway.
Love your determination to run long next year - also love the blog colours now - one of the prettiest out there!
You got off to a flying start there Clairie! And a nice strong finish too.
That middle km is a killer. It was only running the TT with Katie and suggesting she made the most of the downhills that I realised exactly how uphill that second one must be.
Didn't win a cent on the stupid nags yesterday so I've got the last of my money on you to crack 21:40 in the 5k at BRRC :-)
Post a Comment