Thursday, November 03, 2005

Blind Man Running

Man I am absolutely smashed!

There was a large group at Pat's this morning and also a very special guest - Gerard who happens to be a blind runner. A fast blind runner. Represented Australia in the paralympics and has won many races. Also climbed Mt Everest earlier this year etc etc etc.

We ran out to New Farm, Tesso wasn't there so Lizzle and I ran and talked the whole way. We ended up in front and half way out there had a giggle as we just assumed the sessin would be at New Farm and hoped everyone was following us.... :)

After the time trial Pat usually has an easyish session.
We did 6 x 2min efforts with 45sec standing recovery. It was tough. Liz was on fire and just took off. We ran out, stopped, then ran back so went over the same stretch for the whole session up and back.

I did the first one really fast - got to beyond the crossing zone and not far from the lead runners. The next one back to the starting line was fast as well. The third one I must have been slower as I pulled up about 10m short of where we stopped the first time. From then on I was determined to keep at it. I got faster and was really happy with myself.
The last one I saw one of the guys who was in front of me. When I went past I said "stay with me" and he did. Right up to 20m from the end. He pushed me faster than I would have gone and I pushed him way faster than his usual so we were both exhausted but grateful.

Then the group jogged into the Gardens where we start our 1km Guess Race.

We have to nominate a time, then without a watch run as close to that pace as possible. There is a gold coin donation to do it and all proceeds go to Camp Quality with the receipt going to the person who gets closest to their nominated time.

Today when we started I could not believe my legs. I thought they were drunk. I literally was wobbly all over the place and remember thinking something bad was going to happen to my body - like total shutdown or something.
All the speedwork was affecting my legs but then I heard Liz say the same thing so I was a bit more relaxed. We started laughing about it.

I guessed 4:20 and ran 4:16 so was happy to get that close. Happy to just finish I think - damn it was hard to do a 1km and think of pace when you are hot and exhausted from your speed session.

I didn't feel very good until I had one of those Up and Go's Pat gives out after the session. That cooled me down and settled my stomach.

I'm over coffee now. It is too hot anyway for hot drinks.
So glad I don't live in Darwin anymore - I used to be addicted to Pauls Ice Coffee as it really cools you down and fills you up. I then found out what was in them - gosh the crap you can drink without knowing it!!

Off to UQ tonight to watch the men and women qualify for the Commonwealth Games. Will be so exciting. Can't wait!!!

2 comments:

Tesso said...

Clairie, sounds like the way you were running this morning you could qualify for the Commonwealth Games yourself!

You're peaking at the right time to run a great 5k at the upcoming BRRC Champs. I'm tempted not ro run and just watch cos I reckon that's gonna be more exciting than seeing the elites tonight.

Glad the coffee withdrawals only lasted a couple of days. Wish I could say the same about my chocolate cravings. Though for a while there I really wasn't missing it ... then I woke up :-)

Rob said...

Speed Wobbles Clairie! You may need to get your shoes balanced.