Tuesday, May 30, 2006

3km Time Trial

Woke up feeling fabulous. Amazing what some sleep next to a warm hubby can do for you!

Arrived at my carpark at 5:39 and Matt Phillips yelled out I was late so I panicked and got my spare key - tied it to my shoe and took off like a leaper after a cure.
I was just outside the art gallery when I realised there was no-one in front of me....and no-one behind me. I didnt' want to go through the tunnel by myself (lots of gangs and homeless people so not really safe in the dark for a single girl).
Sure enough along comes Anna Bligh. She too had detoured (loo stop) and thought she would catch up. A few more mins of slow running together and the rest of the group was soon behind us all.

When I got to the start it was a few minutes before everyone arrived. How exciting though to see Tesso and ChilliPants in the crowd.

We did a few run throughs and it was so surreal to see everyone that I hadn't seen in ages running alongside me.

Soon enough the big start was called for and we all lined up. With around 60 runners it was pretty crowded but I was happy to settle in the middle of the crowd. We raced off and I felt great for the first 500m before I realised that I was coasting along. Running fast but not out of breath. Still people were in front of me that aren't normally and I think I suffered from lack of confidence halfway through the race. Crazy heh!

Anyhow I hurt the whole last 1.5km. I was running as fast as I could go without falling over or spewing. I had two people overtake me since the 500m mark so I worked on getting back at least that spot and managed to get in front of one of the women (by 1 second).

All up finished result was 12:14.
I am disappointed but when I think about it I should be happy with that average of 4:05 min/km. From now on each TT I will be actively seeking to reduce it a bit further with more attention to my speedwork. Tesso and I both made a vow to work at getting back to where we were both at pre-Canberra. I know she will do it - and quickly so I guess I had better pull my finger out and get cracking.

Worst thing to happen to me today - I found out I was allergic to Chillipants. He was standing next to me and I just kept sneezing and now I have runny nose, watery eyes and am sneezing every few minutes.....hope this goes away soon!!!!!

7 comments:

Chelle said...

Oh but Clairie, you did so well anyway. Your training has been all over the place recently has been hard to fit in recently, plus the large (and wet!) weekend you just had, a month of sleeping next to warm hubby and you'll be back to speed in no time. Not that 4.05 is anything to be uspet about mind!

Tesso said...

C'mon Clairie, you should be rapt with that result, its not even 10 seconds a km slower than your PB. Not bad for somebody who has done stuff all speed work for over 2 months.

It was a great feeling out there this morn wasn't it, like the old gang was back together :-) But so many newbies too. The best thing is now there's always someone to chase down or try to keep in front of.

Re the sneezing ... Bless you. Or as the Sein would say "you are soooo good looking" :-)

Stephen Lacey said...

I have had that reaction of sneezing and watery eyes straight after a hard run twice. The first time it seemed to turn into a cold. The second time I just got over it after a few hours. It was weird because I had no signs of a cold before the run.

Toasty said...

See it was the run .... not me!

Rob said...

It's good that you are back there getting into it again Clairie... and Tesso too... Toasty too.

Aww gee wizzz.........

Ewen said...

That's excellent considering your recent problems Clairie!

With 60 runners Pat will have to organise seeded starts.

TD said...

Nothing wrong with a 12.14 for 3k, Clairie. The way you ran in Canberra, I've got no doubt you will have that time down substantially before too long.