Friday, May 26, 2006

Friday - Bike Substitute

Of all the days to arrive in NSW - I have to get here the morning after the State of Origin, man the ribbing I have had to endure!!!! What a pain.

As usual the travel has interferred with my running and this morning I was in no condition to go for a run. I made it to the gym in the hotel - just in time to see a 100 size circuit class start. Obviously those in Newcastle are keen on staying fit. I slumped onto a bike (groaning about how I am sure I had a bad oyster and it wasn't alcohol induced...) and did a 40min speed session. Mind you if I had been on the road I would have fallen sideways during the recoveries as I was barely turning my legs over. The speed I was only getting up to 32km/hr but at least it was something. I don't know much about biking so have to just assume that was reasonable.

My legs and butt feel it now.....so all in all a good substitute for not running.

Will be flying back to Brissy tonight then driving down to Ballina at 4am with the family so my long run will need to be Sunday morning around the coast which will be nice but lonely. Haven't had to do a long run on my own since being in Perth at Chrissy. Spoilt aren't I?

6 comments:

Stephen Lacey said...

Hey, if Queensland is always so beautiful/perfect, how come you can't stay away from NSW? lol

I'll be in Newcastle myself for a couple of days in June (5-7). My flight will take a bit longer than yours did though!

Tesso said...

A 40 min session on a bike sounds way harder to me than a 3 hour run. Not to mention boring. Good on ya.

Your long run down in Ballina might be lonely but it should be beautiful. Load the iPod with some cool cruisey music and the time will fly.

Ewen said...

17-16!

Rob said...

Yep Clairie..a spoilt brat. You will love a nice long run on your own. Time to relect on being so spoilt.

Tamyka Bell said...

I agree with Tesso. I told Steven I'd rather run 100km than ride 140km because it hurts less (and yes, I was speaking from experience).

If your legs were "barely turning over" on the recovery then it's probably just because you had a high resistance. 32km/h is just fine.

Toasty said...

I'm so happy you don't like the bike. It means you will continue to run with us and not become some sort of triathlon person.