Only read on if you promise not to laugh at me!
The legs had been a bit punished lately so I thought I would waiver my 8km run the coach had me down for and head to the gym.
I snuck into the Spin class before anyone was there and had a look at the bikes. Can't be too hard I thought, the teacher came in and saw me and came straight over *groan*. He was great. Showed me how to adjust the bike for height, arm length and workload (and I thought you just sat on it). Then he ran through some of the catch phrases he would use during the session and what it meant (ie stand, sit, drink fluid etc). mmmm this is now getting too technical for a simple cross training exercise.
Just as it was about to get underway Champion Christian came bounding in (he runs 10km in 32mins), saw me and grinned. Grabbed the bike next to me - that I left purposely empty - and the class got underway.
That damn nasty teacher had to announce I was a newbie and Chris grinned even bigger and whispered - "don't worry I'll watch out for you - just follow my lead"
The teacher forgot to mention that the music was going to be so loud that I would not hear his catch phrases and I have never been good at lipreading when the sweat is pouring in my eyes.
Hence a few times I had a slap on the arm from Chris telling me to keep looking up or to put up the resistance (my response being a kindly "I'll put the resistance up something in a minute..").
I got through 20mins and we eased off and everyone was stretching their arms and grabbing some water. Great I thought, it was time for the cool down. Just as soon as I picked up my water bottle the man up front screamed and everyone was pumping their legs furiously. WTF was going on...I thought it was all over now!
I never knew I could run up a hill on a bike. Or glare at someone 5m away from me and have him smile widely back and say "CMON LETS SPRINT"
Yah finally something I can do. Oh...he means still on the bike....
The 45mins went for 45hrs. Everyone else was stretching after the cooldown but I just kept turning the legs over gently. Then they all starting leaving the room and I was still gently peddling along. The instructor came up to me and asked me what I thought so I told him it was a great workout and it really tested me. He then asked if I was staying for another class and I said no I had to go to work. I kept peddalling.
So he politely told me the next group would be in soon.
So I politely told him that I was waiting until everyone left so I could figure how to get out of the damn clips he had put my feet into. I mean did he really think I wanted to just keep peddalling when my legs were groaning?????
I think Christian is still laughing. I daren't ever go back there again.
14 comments:
I would ROTFL if a wasn't chained to my chair at work ;-).
hmmm ... lovely to hear. Maybe they were just testing out the newbie? ;)
Rest assured, spin classes are always hard. GREAT for losing weight (you'll sweat bucketloads when you get used to them), and even us triathletes dread them.
Nice effort Clairie - we'll have you doing the whole shebang at Noosa Tri before long :)
Is a snicker a laugh?
Fantastic! That reminds me so much of my first visit to a spin class. I was definitely not prepared for that puddle of sweat on the floor once the lights went back on. And the music, puuuurleeez! I did go back, but not many times. And I might go back again, but only if I really had a lot of time on my hands.
Oh that is precious Clairie....
I have a feeling you will be back, you cann't let the bike win.
Bernie's right - there is no way on earth you are going to let those spin classes beat you ;-)
Yes, go back Clairie. Please. I need cheering up.
At least they didn't give you the one with the training wheels.
....Only read on if you promise not to laugh at me!
hahahahahahahaha
gold!
this story made my day thanks for sharing it clairie :)
Gees, I've gotta stop going away and leaving you to your own devices. Your story reminded me of my first ever aerobics class back in the early 80s. I dreamt afterwards that I was so sore I couldn't get out of bed. Then when I woke up in the morning I dead set couldn't!
Can't wait to start training with you again. I could use a laugh.
Just think how much you're going to hurt, and how great that will feel!! Good on you for going in the first place! :)
I'm sorry but I couldn't help laughing...hope you go back, they're fun really!
Great post Clairie - please go back!
Post a Comment