After the race on Sunday I felt really great. I even managed to go out for a 7.5km run later that afternoon to loosen up the legs.
Monday morning I hit the gym and managed to totally fuck my back after lifting some weights following my spin class.
I raced to a phsyio who specialised in back pain and they spent an hour diagnosing and relieving my pain. Apparently I strained a disc. But the ultrasound also showed that under all the flab I have some very strong/tight Abdominus muscle. Yah.
Now I have lots of additional core exercises to do, NSAID's to take - and a lighter workload for the week. NO GYM PERMITTED. mmmm
Tuesday morning I fronted up to Pat's with a bit of trepidition. I shouldn't have worried - it was all good. I choose to just run steady at a decent pace instead of doing the 30fast/30recovery session the rest of the group was doing. It was funny going past them all in the recovery and trying to stay ahead of them when they started running fast. Didn't help that Pat NEVER runs 30sec recovery....more like 20sec. My back never crossed the unbearable threshold so I was happy.
When I got home from work I even braved the lap pool to do some laps - apparently swimming is excellent for the back. Pity the lungs got soaked as well - I think I swallowed half the pool.
I had NSAIDs on Monday and one yesterday before training but then didn't take anymore. I wanted to see how bad the pain got. I had a really good day yesterday but this morning I am no better and it may even be slightly worse so I will follow Dr instructions and take the NSAID's for a few days. Also have a 4pm appt with the Physio again to follow up.
10 comments:
Clairie, matie, sorry to about the f%ed back. Those weights are dangerous things. Do keep taking doc's advice and let's hope the disc comes back into place. I can tell you from bitter experience, and I think 2P might have a penny's worth to say about it too, that they are mongrels of things if they are stubborn.
Yeah be careful Clairie crook back syndrome can play havoc with your training.
Having said that it looks like your training is really peaking up - good stuff mate ;-)
Bad luck with the back. Take care with it as you certainly don't want a chronic dodgy back.
gee - sorry to hear about the back pain Clairie. Yes, swimming is good for the back - but only when you're fit and healthy again. I wouldn't be doing too much in the pool too early. Wait until the disc has settled and is strong again before doing a great deal of swimming.
When reading you did that ...... thing to your back I winced cause I thought oh oh there goes the foward progress.
Anyways glad it's not too serious, but let that be a lesson and watch those weights.
While a balance of strength work and running will make you faster if push comes to shove ditch the weights in favour of running only.
After all if your attacked by a predator you'd stand a better chance out running it than bench pressing it!
I'm pleased the Pat session wasn't too painful for you ... it was for me if that makes you feel any better ;-)
Maybe this can be one of those 'easy' weeks we should throw in every now and then. Hopefully by the weekend all will be fine and we can squeeze in that looooong run in between other Noosa activities.
PS Drinking half the pool water? Good to hear you are staying well hydrated.
Good to see you are "back" into the running. "back" ... ha ... get it .. get it .... no .... sorry
Sorry about the back Clairie. Good news about the Abs Clairie. Your lying about the flab Clairie.
I don't believe the flab story. Hope all is beautiful and perfect up at Noosa.
Sorry to hear about the back problems, Clairie. Like the others, I've had my share of them too over the years. I get pretty despondent at times with them, but in my case they do fix themselves and sometimes quicker than I think they would.
Congrats also for that 20.30 effort recently - what a fantastic run!
Post a Comment